Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

cooking a whole chicken

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 41 Replies
i HATE cooking whole chickens. how would you do it? i'm thinking of some butter and italian seasoning, roasting it, dinner for one night, freezing some, and then making chicken salad with the rest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maries_Mom23
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Spray the crock pot with cookiing spray, put the chicken in there and about 12 drops of hot sauce.  Let it cook all day.  The hot sauce doesn't make it "hot" it gives it a rotisserie cooked taste.   

spooky415
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM
cool, i'll try it.

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Spray the crock pot with cookiing spray, put the chicken in there and about 12 drops of hot sauce.  Let it cook all day.  The hot sauce doesn't make it "hot" it gives it a rotisserie cooked taste.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I always brine mine... look up Alton brown recipe for Brining. Then right before I cook it I tale butter, garlic, parsley and sea salt, mix it together, slide my hand between the chicken and the skin all over, smear that concoction under the skin then bake it. Its amazingly delish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I put a spicy rub on it and roast it in the crockpot.  We love it that way!

• 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
jessicasmom1
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

tonights whole chicken in the crockpot covered in water to make chicken stock .. adobe season, garlic, salt and pepper ...... soon after it is amost done ... maple syrup 

4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I usually bake it with different types of seasonings.  I may use a southwestern rub or lemon pepper.  I also have a rustic herb seasoning that is good on poultry.  

4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I'm going to have to try that.  Sounds wonderful!

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Maries_Mom23
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I love doing this.  We eat what we can that night and I use the leftovers the next night for chicken noodle soup...that my girls LOVE!

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

When I quoted you, I didn't even notice that was you.  How have you been?  I haven't seen you around lately.

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

I love doing this.  We eat what we can that night and I use the leftovers the next night for chicken noodle soup...that my girls LOVE!

Quoting 4kidz916:

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

-42-
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I mix softened butter with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, crushed rosemary, and a pinch of chili powder.

Loosen the skin over the breasts by sliding your fingers between the meat and the skin, careful not to rip the skin.

Take some of the butter and put it under the skin on both sides. Rub it all around.

Make sure the outside is dry. Rub the rest of the butter mixture all over the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Cut up a lemon and an apple. Sprinkle the inside cavity with plenty of salt and pepper. Cram the lemon and apple up there too. Truss it if you wanna, I do it to mine.

Throw that sucker in the oven. Baste it with the pan drippings every now and again until done. If its not nicely browned by now, throw the oven on broil until it is.

And let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)