Bacon Guacamole Bites Recipe: A Food Marriage Made in Heaven
There are tasty ideas, and then there are mind-blowing ideas. This is the latter: Bacon guacamole bites. Basically, this is just guacamole sandwiched between two little pieces of bacon. I can't believe I hadn't thought of this myself. But it showed up in Runner's World magazine and now it's all I can think about. (I guess you'd need to be a runner to justify eating these bad boys?)
We love bacon. We love guacamole. It's a match made in heaven! The new peanut butter cups. Right?!? I think these would make excellent Superbowl snacks, especially if everyone takes a few laps around the yard during halftime. But I'm making myself a few today just because. Here's a recipe.
Bacon Guacamole Bites adapted from Runner's World
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, minced
- Salt to taste (around 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 pounds very ripe avocados
- 1 plum tomato
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bacon into 1 or 2-inch pieces. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange bacon so that no pieces overlap. Bake for 10 minutes, turn pieces over, and bake for another 5-10 minutes until done. Let pieces drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole. Put onion, peppers, and cilantro together in a bowl and crush together with the back of a spoon. (Or use a mortar and pestle or molcajete if you have one.) Add avocado, tomato, and lime juice and mash together with other ingredients with a fork.
- Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of guacamole on a piece of bacon and top with a second piece of bacon. Continue with the rest of the bacon and guacamole. Serve immediately.