Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you cook fried chicken?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 31 Replies
What's your recipe?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I don't cook fried foods but I love southern fried chicken.  

Here is a recipe from Paula Deen that is very similar to what my grandmother used to make (minus the hot pepper sauce).  The key is deep fat frying. 

Ingredients

House Seasoning:

• 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder

Southern Fried Chicken:

• 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup hot red pepper sauce
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • House Seasoning
  • 2 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
  • Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions

To make the House Seasoning, mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I don't make deep fried chicken at home ... it's too greasy. Once in a great while I'll make oven fried chicken. The only thing that I have deep fried recently were eggrolls and they were small & tight ... restaurant style.

Kelly913
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I saw this one while searching for one last night.  I think I ended up using one from AllRecipes.com.  It was good, but I felt there was room for improvement.  We rendered our own lard over the last few days and HAD to have something fried in it! 

Quoting 4kidz916:

Here is a recipe from Paula Deen that is very similar to what my grandmother used to make (minus the hot pepper sauce).  The key is deep fat frying. 

Ingredients

House Seasoning:

• 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder

Southern Fried Chicken:

• 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • House Seasoning

Directions

To make the House Seasoning, mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My grandmother used lard as well and she always used a thermometer to make sure that it was at the right temp and she made sure the chicken was submergerd instead of having to turn it. 

Quoting Kelly913:

I saw this one while searching for one last night.  I think I ended up using one from AllRecipes.com.  It was good, but I felt there was room for improvement.  We rendered our own lard over the last few days and HAD to have something fried in it! 

Quoting 4kidz916:

Ingredients

House Seasoning:

• 1 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder

Southern Fried Chicken:

• 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • House Seasoning

Directions

my4boys2002
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I do oven fried sometimes but not deep fried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alieda
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM
That is what we did too

Quoting my4boys2002:

I do oven fried sometimes but not deep fried

tennisgal
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

oh yes. yum yum!!

dip in eggs, then in flour/salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic mixture, then fry in coconut oil. 

spooky415
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this
with my new stove i might.

my old one...the gas scared me.

we still have a gas stove but it doesn't make weird hissing noises.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adamsmom0116
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I don't make fried chicken but my husband does. He uses Paula Deen's recipe and deep fries in peanut oil. The hot sauce gives it a bit of heat that is just perfect!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I do oven fried but not deep fried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)