Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

food with iron

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Iron animia runs big in all the girls and women in my family.  I am trying to let or hope it doesn't happen to my babygirl.  She will be 11 months in a few day and I thought she was getting enough iron and formula, but my sister and her friend had told me they think my DD isn't getting enough.  My daughter gets a multi-vitamin (enfamil poly vi sol) which has 10mg (about 67% DV) of iron in it for infants.  My baby also gets 18 oz worth of formula though out the day.  She gets a mix of infant and toddler formulas.  Infant formula has 1.8mg of iron per 5 oz of formula and ther toddler formula has 2mg per 5 oz.  DD gets about 9 oz of the infant formula and 9 oz of toddler formula.  Plus she gets spoon feed too.  

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight1968
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I have that problem too.  Although they are too small for somethings but my Dr. told me to eat beets, spinach, drink purple grape juice and red wine...but I don't like red wine lol....

ilovemybabiez
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Calcium, as good as it is for people, counteracts iron absorbtion, so feed high calcium meals seperate from high iron meals. Vitamin C helps absorb iron so add fruits and veggies to things. Cheerios have a lot of iron. Beans, lentils, dark green veggies, lean beef. When I was pregnant, I was told by WIC to cook with a cast iron skillet. It sounds like you're doing a good job already, with the multi vitamin and everything :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My son's dr prescribed something (ferrous sulfate maybe?) but he wasn't anemic. It was more preventative so I never have it to him. That may work though?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

dark greens , beans

4kidz916
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Spinach and chick peas are two things my daughter eats alot of and make sure to eat them or take supplements along with Vitamin C to be able to absorb the iron more. 

Alieda
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe not now but liver is a wonderful source of iron. I know I odd but I love liver
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Alieda:

Maybe not now but liver is a wonderful source of iron. I know I odd but I love liver

Heinz makes beef liver baby food.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:30 PM

You should not give young children raisins (or not give them very many). They usually swallow them whole and the longer the raisins are in their bodies, the more likely raisins will plump up into whole grapes. Something like a Fig Newton that is minced figs is better and has just as much iron. Also some raisin preserves contain honey which is not good for babies & toddlers.

little.worthen
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Leafy greens, eggs, beans, and to help, the darker the meat is, the more iron it has. Also iron enriched breads. Like Sara Lee Iton Kids bread
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

a healthy baby between the ages of six months and 12 months needs about 11 milligrams (mg) of iron a day; a baby age one or over needs seven mg. It sounds like she's getting plenty. If you give her cereal, they're usually iron fortified, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)