Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Iron animia runs big in all the girls and women in my family.  I am trying to let or hope it doesn't happen to my babygirl.  She will be 11 months in a few day and I thought she was getting enough iron and formula, but my sister and her friend had told me they think my DD isn't getting enough.  My daughter gets a multi-vitamin (enfamil poly vi sol) which has 10mg (about 67% DV) of iron in it for infants.  My baby also gets 18 oz worth of formula though out the day.  She gets a mix of infant and toddler formulas.  Infant formula has 1.8mg of iron per 5 oz of formula and ther toddler formula has 2mg per 5 oz.  DD gets about 9 oz of the infant formula and 9 oz of toddler formula.  Plus she gets spoon feed too.  

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Replies (11-11):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

1.  I wouldn't rely on family members for health info.  Besides, the doctor or health dept. worker will more than likely test her iron level at a year old and be able to tell you if it's adequate or not.

2.  You CAN give too much iron to an infant.  Too much iron can cause organ damage.

3.  give her things like cooked spinach, diced meats (liver is fine, my granddaughter LOVES chicken, fish is another good one), or apricots. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN