Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Grab a Cookbook!

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 30 Replies

It's ffffrreeeeeezing here.....a balmy 27 degrees!  How cold is it where you are?  

Going by the temperature in your area (let us know where you are and what the temp is), grab one of your favorite cookbooks and turn to that page......post the recipe you find there.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VanBurren
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Let's see, St. Louis is 27 right now.  I grabbed Pillsbury's 2008 Annual Recipes, and here's what I found on page 27:

CRESCENT CRANBERRY WREATHS

1/3 cup finely chopped sweetened dried cranberries

2 Tbs cherry or strawberry preserves

1 can (8-oz) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

1 oz white chocolate baking bar, chopped

1/2 tsp oil

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.  In small bowl, mix cranberries and preserves.

Unroll dough into 2 rectangles.  Press each to form 8x6-inch rectangle; press perforations to seal.  Spread cranberry mixture over 1 rectangle to edges.  Place second rectangle on top; press lightly.  With sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut lengthwise into six 8-inch-long strips.  Twist each strip 3 times and shape into ring on cookie sheet; pinch ends to seal.

Bake 9-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes.

In small microwavable bowl, place baking bar and oil.  Microwave on High 30 seconds; stir until melted and smooth.  If necessary, microwave 10 - 20 seconds longer.  Drizzle over warm rolls.  Serve warm.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

We are not going to get up to 27 degrees for what seems like forever! It was -17 below last night ... ouch! It got up to 9 degrees today. It's too cold & dry to snow but we may get some powder.

I was scrapbooking in my cookbook this morning. The last recipe that I saw was a Dorito casserole. I've been wondering where it was.

VanBurren
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Quoting DissieDothe:

We are not going to get up to 27 degrees for what seems like forever! It was -17 below last night ... ouch! It got up to 9 degrees today. It's too cold & dry to snow but we may get some powder.

I was scrapbooking in my cookbook this morning. The last recipe that I saw was a Dorito casserole. I've been wondering where it was.

Holy cow!  -17!!!!  And here we were complaining about the bitter wind here at 12 the other day.....but I think that was only because it was near 70 just a couple days earlier. 

The Dorito casserole sounds interesting.....are the Doritos IN the casserole, or are they crushed up on top?

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VanBurren:

Quoting DissieDothe:

Holy cow!  -17!!!!  And here we were complaining about the bitter wind here at 12 the other day.....but I think that was only because it was near 70 just a couple days earlier. 

The Dorito casserole sounds interesting.....are the Doritos IN the casserole, or are they crushed up on top?

Dorito Casserole

Ingredients
1 pkg taco seasoning
1# ground beef
1 pkg (9-14 oz) nacho cheese Doritos
1 can Rotel
1 can mushroom soup
1 can chicken & rice soup  ,,, do not sub with cream of chicken or chicken & stars
1 onion (chopped)
1 pkg (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

Brown beef & onion. Add Rotel, soups, & taco seasoning. Heat over low heat to get mixed - do not boil.

Put a layer of Dorito's in a 9x13 baking pan. Add layer of shredded cheese then a ayer of beef soup mixture. Repeat layers (make 3 layers) and top all with thin layer of shredded cheese.

Bake 350F for 25 min (uncovered).

la1118
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm in San Antonio and it is currently 53 (headed to 74 today). I grabbed a Good Housekeeping cookbook called Chocolate!  Page 53 was actually an instructional page about beating egg whites, so I moved to the next page and found Molten Chocolate Cakes:

la1118
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

That's too small to see.  Let me see if I can scan the recipe only.

la1118
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Found it online:  http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/molten-chocolate-cakes-2761

Molten Chocolate Cakes

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar, plus additional for dusting
  • 4 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) butter or margarine, cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup(s) heavy or whipping cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • Confectioners' sugar
  • Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease eight 6-ounce custard cups. Dust with granulated sugar.
  2. In heavy 3-quart saucepan, heat chocolate, butter, and cream over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove pan from heat. Add vanilla. With wire whisk, stir in flour just until mixture is smooth.
  3. In medium bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat 1/4 cup granulated sugar, eggs, and yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 10 minutes. Fold egg mixture, one-third at a time, into chocolate mixture until blended.
  4. Divide batter evenly among prepared custard cups. (Can be made ahead. Wrap well and refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 2 weeks.) Place cups in jelly-roll pan and bake cakes until edges are set but centers still jiggle, 8 to 10 minutes.
  5. Cool in pan on wire rack 3 minutes. Run thin knife around sides of cups to loosen cakes; invert onto plates. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

karone04
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

17 with light snow in my part of Ohio.

Slow Cooker E-book:

BARBECUED BEAN SOUP
* 1 lb Great Northern beans, soaked
* 2 tsp Salt
* 1 med Onion, chopped
* 1/8 tsp Ground pepper
* 2 lb Beef short ribs
* 6 cup Water
* 3/4 cup Barbecue sauce
Place all ingredients in Slow Cooker except barbecue sauce Cover and cook on Low 10
to 16 hours. Before serving, remove short ribs and cut meat from bones. Return meat
to Slow Cooker. Stir in barbecue sauce before serving

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

It's 28 here in NJ this morning. We had a dusting of snow over night, with more to come...

I grabbed Christina Perillo's "Cooking the Whole Foods Way". The page I had a bookmark in had this recipe (found online too):

Brown Rice and Millet Croquettes

Croquettes are easy to make and so yummy to serve, adding a 'specialness' to the most humble of feasts. These get a crunchy outside shell from the corn meal. So delicious! 

Ingredients

1/2 cup leftover, cooked brown rice
1/2 cup leftover, cooked millet
1/4 cup total onion and carrot-diced
1/4 cup fresh corn kernels (optional)
Fine corn meal
Avocado oil for deep frying or shallow frying

The above measures are really just a guide. Grain ratios may vary, depending on what you have available. The same goes for vegetables.

Directions 
Prepare the vegetables and mix in with the grain until well incorporated. Begin warming the oil if deep-frying, over medium heat. With moist hands, form the croquettes into small spheres, thick discs or oblong discs. Pour some corn meal onto a plate and dredge each croquette thoroughly before frying. This will hold the croquette together as well as give it a crispy outer coating. Deep-fry each croquette until golden brown and drain well on paper to remove any excess oil. If shallowfrying, simply heat about 1/4" deep oil in a skillet and fry the croquettes on each side until golden. Drain well. These are great served with a simple dipping sauce consisting of soy sauce, water and fresh grated ginger juice or lemon juice.

Variations: Don't be limited to this combo. Any cooked whole or cracked grains will make delicious croquettes. Rice with bulgur, Millet with cous cous, Barley and corn--the list is virtually endless. And dressed up with some diced veggies worked through, these croquettes are almost a meal in themselves.

Pink.Frosting
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

What a neat idea for a post!  It's 38* here.  I grabbed my "got-to" cookbook which is a local one put out by some of the Mennonite ladies.

Pear Bread

3 C. flour

1 tsp. soda

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbls. cinnamon

1 C. pecans

3/4 C. oil

3 eggs, beaten

2 C. sugar

2 tsp. vanilla

2 C. grated pears

Combine first 6 ingredients.  Combine liquid ingredients together.  Add to the dry ingredients to moisten.  Bake at 325* for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.  Yield: 2 loaves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN