Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

NEED HELP WTH FOOD ..

Posted by   + Show Post
HOW CAN A STRETCH $600.00 IN FOOD MONEY A MONTH FOR 6(3 KIDS/3 ADULTS) PPL 1 DOG,CAT .I HAVE TO HAVE DINNERS,8/10 LUNCHES.8/10 BREAKFASTS.SNACKS ..AND IT BE SOME WHAT HEALTHY ..
MEATS ARE CRAZY EXPENSIVE,MILK,EGGS ,CHEESE TO.I DO 90% OF THE COOKING ..SO ITS MOSTLY ON ME.I DO HAVE BJ,S CARD ..IDK WHAT TO DO TO SAVE $ ..BW I GET FS AND U HAVE TO PAY TAXES WEN U USE COUPONS ON FS.
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM
That's odd. In ny you don't

Quoting KRIZZ25:

Quoting Cindy18:

Taxes on coupons? What state do you live in?

wen u use food stamps ..yep ..va

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The states that charge sales tax on food (and subsequently coupons, too):

Arkansas

Alabama

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Kansas

Mississippi

Missouri

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Utah

Virginia

West Virginia

Any store that I shop at here in Michigan adds sales tax for taxable items BEFORE deducting coupon values.  Thus, coupon values are taxed.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting KRIZZ25:

Quoting Cindy18:

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that sucks...

Thanks for the lesson thought

Quoting michiganmom116:

The states that charge sales tax on food (and subsequently coupons, too):

Arkansas

Alabama

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Kansas

Mississippi

Missouri

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Utah

Virginia

West Virginia

Any store that I shop at here in Michigan adds sales tax for taxable items BEFORE deducting coupon values.  Thus, coupon values are taxed.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting KRIZZ25:

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM
It's is pretty awesome :)

Quoting VanBurren:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Do you like the crock pot? You an make sooo much in a crock that spread over for several days :)
Plan out your meals for each week for the month or each week (depending how often you go shopping. Also coupons are a great way to save money. Do you have a Kroger or Walmart that you shop at? We have both around here and Kroger is having this awesome sale and you can put coupons on your Kroger card :) saved me 30$ the other day :)

Aweeee....I really miss our Kroger!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tmtt27
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM
That is not fair

Quoting KRIZZ25:

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Sure, any specific ones?

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

A lot of this sounds good. Do you have recipes?

Quoting Stacie03:

The ladies in this group are good about not bashing :)

I would do things like oatmeal (not packets), homemade waffles or pancakes, a frittata or quiche with lots of veggies can stretch eggs out further, or homemade muffins for breakfasts.

Leftovers for lunch, soups, sandwiches (made with leftover chicken breast or ham, not lunch meat)

Dinners- casseroles will help you stretch a smaller amount if meat, buy a ham or turkey and you'll easily get 3-4 meals from it. Frozen veggies are cheaper and sometimes healthier than fresh. Homemade rolls or biscuits can be a cheap filler if you need just a little extra something.

Snacks- homemade treats, homemade crackers, pretzels, homemade yogurt, celery, apples, and carrots are fairly cheap.

It can be done! Good luck.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
All if you're willing to share. I'm trying to make new things and cook from scratch but I get overwhelmed when I don't know what to try.

Quoting Stacie03:

Sure, any specific ones?

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

A lot of this sounds good. Do you have recipes?

Quoting Stacie03:

The ladies in this group are good about not bashing :)

I would do things like oatmeal (not packets), homemade waffles or pancakes, a frittata or quiche with lots of veggies can stretch eggs out further, or homemade muffins for breakfasts.

Leftovers for lunch, soups, sandwiches (made with leftover chicken breast or ham, not lunch meat)

Dinners- casseroles will help you stretch a smaller amount if meat, buy a ham or turkey and you'll easily get 3-4 meals from it. Frozen veggies are cheaper and sometimes healthier than fresh. Homemade rolls or biscuits can be a cheap filler if you need just a little extra something.

Snacks- homemade treats, homemade crackers, pretzels, homemade yogurt, celery, apples, and carrots are fairly cheap.

It can be done! Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emelyn_loves_31
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If you save $1.00 on an item with a coupon and get taxed say 30 cents on it, is it worth it to use the coupon?  How much are you getting taxed that you won't use the coupons?

Also, make sure you're cooking from scratch.  It's more expensive to buy pre-processed food.  Try at least one meatless meal a week to stretch our meat budget.  Batch cook and take advantage of the week's sales by planning your menu around the sale items.  Don't make multiple trips to the store.  Buy as much as you can in one trip and only go back occassionally for fresh produce.

KRIZZ25
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM
thanks lady's ..i have bad back so i cant do lot sating in the kitchen cooking or walking the store for hr ..but some were grate tips ty.
Eshadowgirl
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

crock pot, casseroles, lasagna and spaghetti are the best ways to go for a large group.  If you have a 4-6 qt crock pot, even better.

Dont be afraid to go to different stores, check for discounted meats(usually reduced price and either use or freeze stuff).   Buy family size pork chops, chicken and ground beef.  These are the best for meals.

Buy a 10 pound bag potatoes or larger. You can always make them in many different ways.

Breakfast can be oatmeal, pancakes, toast and eggs.

Lunch can be soup and sandwiches or leftovers from the night before

Dinner can be porkchops in crock pot w/ potatoes,carrots and onions. I even cut up rutabagas and celery .  

Chicken,veggie and rice casserole is easy, and full of good stuff. Serve w/ shredded cheese n sour cream

Bread...If you have a breadmaker, I recommend homemade bread and dinner rolls. I do it, and saves tons of $$,.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)