Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

My husband does not cook.  When we first met he had a freezer full of frozen dinners. 

He CAN make spaghetti but not much else.  When he retired I thought I would be able to leave a recipe for him and he would be able to follow it and make dinner so we could eat when I got home from work. 

That did not work so well.  Just the other day, I asked him to put the fish and tator tots in the oven to bake.  20 mins later, the tater tots and 2 of the 3 pieces of fish were done.  But the 3rd piece of fish was still bleeding!  I could not figure this out - all 3 pieces of fish were the same size, cooked in the same oven for the same amount of time.  SO this just proves DH CAN'T cook!  LOL

However, this week I am home from work due to pneumonia.  So I've been sitting in the kitchen and "supervising" while he does the cooking.  He seems to be enjoying cooking more knowing I am there to "help" as needed.  He even made his favorite muffins yesterday using the food processor - a kitchen appliance he was afraid of in the past. 

I think DH is gaining confidence working in the kitchen so perhaps the old dog can learn new tricks after all.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Replies (21-24):
CometGirl
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
My DH does all the cooking.
MyGiftsFromGod
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM
When I met my husband he ate the way he grew up- nothing but processed foods. He THOUGHT he knew how to cook because he would open a jar of store bought spaghetti sauce, boil some noodles, and put them together. He thought it was very special if he browned some ground beef first and put that in. Yes, he actually thought that was cooking. As we were dating, he thought my family ate like high society since everything was made from scratch instead of out of cheap boxed foods that happened to be whatever he could get for free with coupons the way his mother did. He didn't even consider trying to cook after we were married because he'd gotten so used to eating what my mom and I made. The exception would be once in a while on his mornings off, he would make us breakfast out of eggs, sausage, and hash browns all chopped up together. It was okay for a while but got old fast. So he didn't cook anything other than putting plain meat on a grill for at least the next ten years. A few years ago I got him some grilling and meat cookbooks. Those have changed our grilling lives! He has really taken off with it and I'm really proud of him. He understands meat, marinades, rubs, and sauces like a science now! Instead of grilling just to do the meat to keep me out of the kitchen for an evening, he grills for the enjoyment of it and for our dining pleasure!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alieda
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
No Lannie firmly cook.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MyGiftsFromGod
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM
That's great. Our sons, well the three oldest so far, love learning to cool with me. I think they'll do a great job when they are older, whether feeding themselves if they're single, or making something delicious for their families.

Quoting WillTimsmom:

My son makes a great pot of chili - so that is his specialty.  I love to make chicken and dumplings - that is a comfort food from my childhood that my dad use to make.

Quoting andrea96:

Yes. I cook the majority of the time, but he cooks certain dishes. For example, I have never cooked chicken and dumplings or white chili. Those are "his".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN