Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Meatloaf Sandwich Recipe Help

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 12 Replies

My basic meatloaf recipe is 1# ground chuck (85-90% lean), 3/4 cup bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, catsup topping. I usually make 2-3# meatloaf. My seasonings vary with basil, oregano, savory, s&p, OR rosemary, thyme, and sometimes garlic, onion, & celery.

The leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches do not make really good sandwiches. Should I switch from bread crumbs to crushed saltine crackers or cornflakes?

Should I do a beefy mushroom topping with melted Swiss?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I vote for the beefy mushroom topping with melted Swiss...YUM!

VanBurren
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The spices I add to my meatloaf are chili powder, cumin, red peper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.  I top it with a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar and dry mustard....it's got a little kick to it.  It makes great leftover sandwiches.

I think I'd stick with the dried bread crumbs.  And a mushroom/Swiss topping would be AWESOME!  May have to switch mine up next time:)

4kidz916
by Melissa on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I'm not a fan of traditional meatloaf so the mushroom topping with melted Swiss sounds wonderful.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

If you want it to hold together better, add another egg. If you mean the flavor is blah, increase your amount of  seasonings. I like the idea of mushroom & Swiss topping, but I don't think that will relate wll to making them as sandwiches.

amonkeymom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I like to use oatmeal (quick oats) in place of bread crumbs, but my mom uses saltines.  You might also experiemnt with different sauces instead of catsup, bbq sauce makes a good meatloaf and last time I made it with pesto and that was delicious.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

If you want it to hold together better, add another egg. If you mean the flavor is blah, increase your amount of  seasonings. I like the idea of mushroom & Swiss topping, but I don't think that will relate wll to making them as sandwiches.

You're right about using mushroom/Swiss on a sandwich. I'd probably have to make "open face" style and no one likes that kind.

BKozICan
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I soak some plain oatmeal with a little water with oinion soup mix and use that instead of breadcrumbs. Makes it pretty moist and flavorful.

WillTimsmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

You can also use flavored crackers or flavored croutons in place of bread crumbs or saltines.

Alieda
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I use crackers crumbs , I have use stuffing, and corn flakes too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I use bread crumbs but  make ours with garlic, Italian seasoning, pizza sauce and cheese

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)