Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Meal Ideas without grains

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 46 Replies

My husband was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol.  We'd been eating what I thought was a healthy diet of fish and chicken, low fat milk and dairy products, plenty of healthy whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables.  What was puzzling was the advice the doctor gave us, to cut out the grains.  Has anyone heard of this approach before?

So, I would love to get some meal ideas that don't have grains in them.  That means he can't have bread, cereal, pasta, rice, oatmeal, barley, or anything like that.  Help?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Check out Rhonda's (michiganmom)weekly meal posts. She follows a paleo diet (grain and mostly dairy free). She also has a group on here that has lots of ideas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovemelovemenot
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Quoting Stacie03:

Check out Rhonda's (michiganmom)weekly meal posts. She follows a paleo diet (grain and mostly dairy free). She also has a group on here that has lots of ideas.

Thanks!  I've seen the meal posts and always think they sure sound good!

AiW
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
That doesn't sound like good advice. Most doctors will recommend higher fiber like oats, rather than white starches, to help lower cholesterol. Granted, some endorse a low carb diet, but not necessarily a no carb diet. Sorry, that doesn't answer your question.
VAGal25
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I like to steam cabbage with cut up turkey sausage and a little chicken stock.

Mashed cauliflower and bake or grill some meat to go with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

You're possibly going to be more successful cutting down on grains rather than trying to eliminate all your comfort foods at once. I serve one of each of the four food groups at each meal. I try not to serve a food with lots of milk/cream and then serve a glass of milk as a beverage. We never have biscuits & gravy = flour & flour. Sausage gravy over hasbrowns is really good if you consider potatoes a vegetable and the gravy is equally good over roasted onion slices.

It's near impossible to find a satisfying replacement for chips. How do you plan to handle it?

lovemelovemenot
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

We have been following a low-fat high fiber diet for several years and his cholesterol keeps climbing.  Maybe the doctor felt there was nowhere else to go?  I don't know.

The doctor did not say anything about carbs.  Is that something we should look at?  With dairy, vegetables, and fruit, I don't see how this could be a low carb diet.

Quoting AiW:

That doesn't sound like good advice. Most doctors will recommend higher fiber like oats, rather than white starches, to help lower cholesterol. Granted, some endorse a low carb diet, but not necessarily a no carb diet. Sorry, that doesn't answer your question.

lovemelovemenot
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thank you for the ideas!

Quoting VAGal25:

I like to steam cabbage with cut up turkey sausage and a little chicken stock.

Mashed cauliflower and bake or grill some meat to go with it.

lovemelovemenot
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, they are very appreciated!

We try to keep our diet low in fat so chips have never been a problem.  We just do not eat them.

Quoting DissieDothe:

You're possibly going to be more successful cutting down on grains rather than trying to eliminate all your comfort foods at once. I serve one of each of the four food groups at each meal. I try not to serve a food with lots of milk/cream and then serve a glass of milk as a beverage. We never have biscuits & gravy = flour & flour. Sausage gravy over hasbrowns is really good if you consider potatoes a vegetable and the gravy is equally good over roasted onion slices.

It's near impossible to find a satisfying replacement for chips. How do you plan to handle it?

AdriaD
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

It is SOUND advice.  Our doctor did the exact same thing, we cut out grains and my DH's cholesterol dropped over 100 points.

@lovemelovemenot - eating grain free, at first, can seem daunting.  We've found that going out is the hardest thing to do.  The American diet is loaded with grains of all sorts.

One thing I've done is for the recipes we enjoy that are traditionally served on bread, rice, etc. I substitute in potatoes or some other hearty roasted or mashed vegetable (turnips, rutabegas, cauliflower, etc.).  We've now gotten to the point where I often don't use a substitute and aren't missing anything.

There are a lot of blogs out there dedicated to "paleo" eating as well as here.  I'd also suggest Pinterest.  I'm on there as vtcurlies and I've saved a lot of good recipes that suit what you are looking for.  Good luck and enjoy!

Quoting AiW:

lovemelovemenot
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you!!  I'm going to try some of the substitutes you suggested.

I wonder why cutting grains out lowers cholesterol?

Quoting AdriaD:

It is SOUND advice.  Our doctor did the exact same thing, we cut out grains and my DH's cholesterol dropped over 100 points.

@lovemelovemenot - eating grain free, at first, can seem daunting.  We've found that going out is the hardest thing to do.  The American diet is loaded with grains of all sorts.

One thing I've done is for the recipes we enjoy that are traditionally served on bread, rice, etc. I substitute in potatoes or some other hearty roasted or mashed vegetable (turnips, rutabegas, cauliflower, etc.).  We've now gotten to the point where I often don't use a substitute and aren't missing anything.

There are a lot of blogs out there dedicated to "paleo" eating as well as here.  I'd also suggest Pinterest.  I'm on there as vtcurlies and I've saved a lot of good recipes that suit what you are looking for.  Good luck and enjoy!

Quoting AiW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN