Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

need a recipe pls

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 5 Replies
Mil brought biscuits over for strawberry shortcake but we used angelfood cake instead, so i have a whole market basket tub of bakery made biscuits. I know dh likes his grammas chicken and biscuits so i was thinking of trying to make it. I googled recipes but i dont have any cream of anything soup, ive actually never cooked with it. Anyone have a recipe thats easy and doesnt need cream of whatever soup?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
scapermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Here's a recipe for home made cream of chicken soup I found:

Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Author: 
Prep time: 
Cook time: 
Total time: 
Serves: 3 cups

Makes the equivalent of about 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup.
Ingredients
  • 2½ cups chicken broth (I used 2 cans)
  • 1½ cups milk
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning mix (or on your own, ½ tsp. onion powder, ½ tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. salt, ½ tsp. parsley, etc)
Instructions
  1. Combine the chicken broth and ½ cup of the milk in a large saucepan. Bring to a low boil.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the flour and seasonings into the remaining 1 cup milk until a smooth, thick mixture forms.
  3. Pour the flour and milk mixture into the saucepan with the broth mixture over low heat and stir continuously, whisking as the mixture simmers. Continue to simmer and stir/whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, 5-10 minutes. The mixture will thicken a bit as it cools.
Notes
The seasoning possibilities are really open-ended. I change the spices I use every time I make this depending on what I’m going to use the soup for. The texture can get lumpy really quickly so I suggest keeping the heat as low as possible and whisking continuously for a more smooth consistency.
SweetLuci
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I have two. Since your biscuits are cooked, wait until almost done to put the biscuits on, just to heat up. Or, don't even bother with the oven, just pour over warmed biscuits.

Chicken & Biscuits

Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
1 can (12 ounces) refrigerated biscuits

Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, thyme, paprika and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is browned.
Combine 1/4 cup chicken broth with flour in small bowl; stir until smooth. Set aside.
Add remaining chicken broth to skillet; bring to a boil. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Simmer 5 minutes. Add peas and carrots; continue cooking 2 minutes.
Transfer mixture to 1-1/2-quart casserole; top with biscuits. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Tip: Cook the chicken in an ovenproof skillet, instead of the 1-1/2-quart casserole. Place the biscuits directly on the chicken and vegetable mixture, then bake as directed.

SweetLuci
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Here's the second one.

Chicken & Biscuits
Filling:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
2/3 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed

½ teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage
Salt & pepper to taste
Biscuits:
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter
2/3 cup milk
In skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, pepper, and mushrooms and sauté 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle cornstarch over top of vegetables. Gradually add milk and cook mixture, stirring, until slightly thickened. Add cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Make biscuits. Add baking powder to flour in mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two forks until granules the size of peas form. Add milk and mix to combine. Pour chicken mixture into 9" pan. Scoop biscuit dough (about 1/3 cup each) and place on top. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

lillucky8
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Thank you!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I generally just split them open and brush with garlic bread spread and sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan then toast under the broiler. Great for spaghetti or with salad.

You can also use them for blt's ... interestingly good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)