Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Young man's grocery list....

What would you put on it?  My oldest DS is on his own (no GF) for the first time and we'd like to send him a food package.  The extent of his cooking skills are scrambled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, and canned soups.  Oh, and he can bake frozen pizzas.

Sigh.  He does NOT get that from me!

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-25):
SweetLuci
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I did when my oldest moved out, and he loved it-nothing like mom's cooking. The when the youngest moved out, he showed up with a package of storage containers. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting SweetLuci:

Every night when you cook dinner,  portion some out into a freezer container or ziplock bag and freeze it. Write directions on the bag or on freezer tape on the container about thawing and reheating.

I've been looking for freezer containers this afternoon...there are a couple of meals on my plan this week that I'm pretty sure he'll eat.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Quoting Kristen.Marie:

Buy him the book " A Man A Can A Plan"

DEFINITELY something to consider for ANY kid newly out of the nest!  Thanks!

EiuGirl316
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to come back in and add pastas, sauces, soups, pizza crusts with pizza sauce, cheeses, etc. 

Quoting VanBurren:

I'd pack a basket with noodles, pasta sauces, rice, a good loaf of bread, soups to "cook" with and some recipe cards that would use the items in the basket.  I'd keep it simple, though.....spaghetti....stroganoff (the quickie version)......and maybe pack in one versatile skillet. 

Bmat
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's see... a food care package for your son. Those single serving heat and eat containers of pastas, stews. Things that he doesn't have to do anything to other than heat. I am speaking from experience. My son didn't want to have to stir anything, to dump anything into another container to heat it. Maybe PB  and jelly and a loaf of bread? A box of crackers? microwave popcorn? Cookies. pretzels.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kristen.Marie:

Buy him the book " A Man A Can A Plan"

I use that cookbook when I'm meal planning for winter. I use gallon or 2.5 gallon bags for the pantry staples for each recipe then label the recipe on the bag. For the refrigerator/freezer ingredients, I label each with the recipe ... that way, you know how it's suppose to be used. Good to know so you don't make scramble eggs or butter popcorn and then don't have eggs, butter, etc for your meals.

Raw freezer cooking is really popular too. I cannot bring myself to freeze raw meat next to vegetables so I will bag the meat separately and put it sealed in the bag with vegetables. You can also use those snack size bags for adding a stick of butter, herbs/spices.  

Water is universal but he might need a filtering pitcher. Some type of drinks would be a big plus too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)