Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Has anyone changed the way they eat

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 44 Replies

to lose weight and be healthy? If yes, what do you eat?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

The main thing I try to do is not eat late at night.  Once I've had dinner I might have some kind of dessert or snack at some point (not all nights) and then nothing else.  I've found that this has helped a lot.  Now I've just come back from a trip and I did NOT do so well there.  lol 

LindaClement
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Real food.

After reading nutrition and health stuff for most of my life, we've transitioned slowly to eating real food. Some of it's more expensive, and some of it is a LOT more expensive... but generally eating in is much cheaper than eating out, and we often (like tonight) eat all vegetarian meals, which keeps the price down.

We make soup, salad dressing, most sauces (from bbq to curry, pad thai paste and more), dips, spreads, breads... 

And we tend to eat in better restaurants, who make their own stock, roast their own meats, etc...

lovemelovemenot
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:25 AM
2 moms liked this

My husband's doctor recommended a grain-free diet a few months ago to help control his cholesterol, and the whole family has adopted that diet because I do not want to be making two different meals every time we sit down.  DH and I have lost some weight and we are both feeling better even though we didn't realize that we didn't feel well.  Our blood pressure readings have dropped, DH no longer has frequent stomach aches,  one of our sons and I don't get migraine headaches anymore, another son with ADHD is having an easier time.  I have more energy, we all sleep better, and I hope to see better numbers the next time DH sees his doctor.

We eat homemade grain-free pancakes and muffins, meat and fish, eggs, and a very large chunk of our diet is vegetables with some fruit thrown in there for a sweeter treat.  I use coconut oil for cooking fat and make salad dressings with olive oil.  Simple yet delicious and healthy.

IncognitoOne
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I keep telling myself I'm going to......lol.

poptart0325
by Kayla on May. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Yes. DH and I both are overweight, have high blood pressure and our cholesterol was high (but it's normal now). We only eat chicken breasts, ground turkey and certain fish (but most meals we make are vegetarian, we eat meat about twice a week). We eat only whole grains, try to make most things fresh and from scratch and we've cut our sodium intake in half. We eat more veggies in place of sides like rice or pasta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I became a raw vegan a few years ago. I didn't do it to lose weight (although I needed to, lol) and I lost 85 lbs in 6 months. I was always eating, which was very unusual for me. I've been a raw vegan ever since.

LindaClement
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

What do you make grain-free pancakes out of?

Quoting lovemelovemenot:

My husband's doctor recommended a grain-free diet a few months ago to help control his cholesterol, and the whole family has adopted that diet because I do not want to be making two different meals every time we sit down.  DH and I have lost some weight and we are both feeling better even though we didn't realize that we didn't feel well.  Our blood pressure readings have dropped, DH no longer has frequent stomach aches,  one of our sons and I don't get migraine headaches anymore, another son with ADHD is having an easier time.  I have more energy, we all sleep better, and I hope to see better numbers the next time DH sees his doctor.

We eat homemade grain-free pancakes and muffins, meat and fish, eggs, and a very large chunk of our diet is vegetables with some fruit thrown in there for a sweeter treat.  I use coconut oil for cooking fat and make salad dressings with olive oil.  Simple yet delicious and healthy.

spooky415
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
i have.

i mostly eat raw fruits and veggies although we certainly splurge (probably more often than we should).

like, a typical lunch for me is just some raw broccoli and carrots and maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter.

for dinner i might have salad with some tuna and vinegar or something.

but then again i also make stuff like meatloaf and mashed potatoes once a week. or i'll pick up some chicken nuggets or pizza if i work late.

i just make sure i reach for the veggies and fruits before the stuff in boxes first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dakee
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We recently had to change our whole families eating habits.  We had one peanut allergic child, but now have a soy allergic child (who is still being tested for other things). I'm not one to make a seperate meal or eat things he can't in front of him.  We have moved to a more natural eating style. Before we didn't use much boxed things but it was nice if I was in a hurry I could grab it and throw it together.  Now I have to plan ahead or we don't eat.  I make all sauces that I can, we eat a lot of fresh produce, switched to olive, coconut, and canola oils.  I found a great book that has a lot of easy marinades and rubs that I love.  It's for grilling but they can be used to bake in the oven as well.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AK3H94W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

kmqw229
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Yes, I am on weight watchers.

I eat a lot of fresh fruits & veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)