Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Has anyone changed the way they eat

Posted by   + Show Post

to lose weight and be healthy? If yes, what do you eat?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Replies (41-44):
LindaClement
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Almonds make my back itch... so I don't tend to eat them.

I'm not really interested in cutting grains out of our diet: we eat so little of them, and so much of them are whole, or sprouted, that I don't feel they are over-represented. We eat about 15 different kinds over the course of a month, and almost never as a side dish.

We've found our appetites have really changed over the years, and we no longer need the 'bulk' kind of calories to get through the day, so we mostly eat vegetables and meats... rather than grains or other starchy foods.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I never heard of it either, until I checked out all the particulars about the diet.  Turns out it's pretty easy to find.  Bob's Red Mill Organic is the one I get the most.  Easy to find on Amazon or at the bulk grocery in my area.

Many grain-free recipes also call for almond flour, but I prefer to be careful with that because of the type of fats in it and consuming a lot of almond flour can offset the balance of omega-3/omega-6 in the diet.

Quoting LindaClement:

Coconut flour? Never heard of it... Interesting. That doesn't happen very often anymore :D

Quoting lovemelovemenot:

Coconut flour, coconut oil or butter, eggs, baking soda or powder (I can't remember which), a couple of other miscellaneous ingredients and usually some kind of fruit.  Michiganmom has plenty of grain-free recipes that she shares.

Quoting LindaClement:

What do you make grain-free pancakes out of?

Quoting lovemelovemenot:

My husband's doctor recommended a grain-free diet a few months ago to help control his cholesterol, and the whole family has adopted that diet because I do not want to be making two different meals every time we sit down.  DH and I have lost some weight and we are both feeling better even though we didn't realize that we didn't feel well.  Our blood pressure readings have dropped, DH no longer has frequent stomach aches,  one of our sons and I don't get migraine headaches anymore, another son with ADHD is having an easier time.  I have more energy, we all sleep better, and I hope to see better numbers the next time DH sees his doctor.

We eat homemade grain-free pancakes and muffins, meat and fish, eggs, and a very large chunk of our diet is vegetables with some fruit thrown in there for a sweeter treat.  I use coconut oil for cooking fat and make salad dressings with olive oil.  Simple yet delicious and healthy.

Janet
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM

That sound like a lot of work. It does sound very healthy.

Quoting GypsiSky:

Basically, I eat fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Always raw. But they can be blended and prepared to mimic cooked dishes... almost any you could imagine... Mac n cheese, pizza, ice cream, spaghetti & "meatballs". Anything really. My dehydrator and Vitamix are my best kitchen friends, lol. The point is, because nothing is cooked, all of the beneficial nutrients and enzymes are still intact. For me, my body was drawn to this way of eating. And I love it because I can eat until I'm stuffed... And then eat some more, and not gain an ounce. Which is huge for me because I was a size 16 for years, and now I'm a size 4. But that's just bonus. I feel amazing inside and out!!

Quoting Janet:

I don't quite understand that diet.

Quoting GypsiSky:

I became a raw vegan a few years ago. I didn't do it to lose weight (although I needed to, lol) and I lost 85 lbs in 6 months. I was always eating, which was very unusual for me. I've been a raw vegan ever since.

momhascooties
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, a few months ago we started transitioning to a more Paleo-ish diet, basically just eating REAL food. No more processed foods. We eat a lot of fresh veggies, good meat, fresh fruit. We cut out refined sugar, almost all grains, gluten, and some dairy as well. We did it more for heatlh reasons than for weight loss but we've lost a lot of weight. I've lost 25 pounds and my husband has lost even more. We both feel amazing! No more tired all the time, irritable, etc. It's awesome! I recommend a book called "Rich Food, Poor Food" it gives a lot of great information about what to look for and not to look for when grocery shopping.

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Also wean yourself off of processed foods...the occassional bag of chips is not a major issue...but  eating them or other processed foods on a daily basis is also an issue...cut back on soda's for caffeine substitute other caffenaited drinks like tea (no sugar) or coffee (little sugar and cream). Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoid diet foods as much as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)