Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need new ideas for beef roast PIOG

We have quite a few beef roasts from the beef we bought...enough for 2 each month.  I usually make a typical beef roast (onion & veggies) and one with a seasoned tomato sauce (Hungarian beef.)  The problem is, we're getting tired of those two ways of preparing a beef roast and leftovers are going to waste.  I NEED NEW IDEAS/RECIPES!

Can you help?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Replies (21-28):
LindaClement
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I'd poke holes in it and press in whole, peeled garlic cloves, then cover it in pepper and rosemary, roast it to rare, and slice very thinly and serve over greens, with the pan drippings as 'dressing'... 

MrsRobinson06
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

This is what I usually do as well.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I also have thrown a roast in the crockpot with the classic onion soup mix, and cream of whatever soup. Cook all day until fall apart tender. I usually add onions, potatoes and carrots to the bottom so they pick up all the flavor too. The sauce becomes a gravy. 

1L2CMommy
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I've posted this one a few times but it's so good, easy, cheap, and feeds an army! We call it beef Manhattan's, but I don't think that's what it really is.
1 roast, any cut, and it can even be frozen solid.
1 can beef broth
2 cans of cream of mushroom
sliced swiss cheese
sour dough bread
Put roast and broth in crock on low fow 8-10 hours
Half an hour before serving, take roast out, put both cans of mushroom soup in and turn it up to high.
Shredd the roast and add it back in.
I serve ours over slices of sourdough and put a slice of swiss on top to melt. But any bread and cheese your family likes would work.
clmsmom
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

LOL. And that's why I request more steaks and hamburgers. We aren't huge roast eaters and in the end there isn't a lot you can do with it..because no matter what it will always maintain that roast texture and flavor.

Typically we either (1) do the traditional roast in the crock pot or oven (2) use leftovers for barbecue (3) put it in a pit and slow cook it that way or (4) use some of the roasts for jerky. You could smoke your roast if you have a smoker.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I'm thinking that I need to order fewer roasts next year, and have them scale back on the size.  We have two fewer appetites now than we used to have 2 years ago, and the one that loved roast is one that moved out.

...roast for jerky...I have done that before and should do it again!

Dad has a smoker, maybe he'd like a roast.

Quoting clmsmom:

LOL. And that's why I request more steaks and hamburgers. We aren't huge roast eaters and in the end there isn't a lot you can do with it..because no matter what it will always maintain that roast texture and flavor.

Typically we either (1) do the traditional roast in the crock pot or oven (2) use leftovers for barbecue (3) put it in a pit and slow cook it that way or (4) use some of the roasts for jerky. You could smoke your roast if you have a smoker.

louannwilkins
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Usually if I have roast left over I make a veg soup with it.  I will even use some of the "gravy" to thicken it and it's delicious.  Seems like you've gotten some great tips!!   :)

brennan5882300
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I make this on occasion and leave out the flour.  We also don't eat as tacos, but as a stew.

Carne Guisada

Everyday Food, November 2010
  • Prep Time 15 minutes
  • Total Time 6 hours, 15 minutes
  • Yield Serves 8 to 10
Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast or bottom round, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium white onion, diced medium
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced medium
  • 1 large jalapeno, seeded and diced small
  • 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Flour tortillas, warmed, grated cheddar, and cilantro, for serving

Directions

1. Season beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over high. In two batches, cook beef until browned on all sides, 5 minutes per batch (add 2 teaspoons more oil for second batch). Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.

2. In same skillet, cook 2 teaspoons oil, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic over medium, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, until vegetables are tender, 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, and flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly pour broth into skillet, stirring until liquid is smooth. Simmer 2 minutes, then transfer mixture to slow cooker, along with tomatoes and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high 6 hours. Serve in tortillas with cheese and cilantro.

Cook's Note

Refrigerate cooled mixture in an airtight container, up to 3 days.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

You could cook it plain ... sear both sides (salt generously, coat with flour, skillet sear both sides in hot cooking oil). Place in baking pan or crock-pot and cook till tender. Serve with baked potatoes or sweet potatoes etc.

If you like Italian Beef & Cheddar sandwiches, it's good for that. Put roast in crock-pot with dry Italian seasonings & salt with 1/2 cup water. Cook till tender. Pull the meat gently as you do not want it stringy & add some fresh chopped Italian herbs & peppers that you like. Cook on low till smells yummy! (Some cooks will add a bottle of Italian dressing instead of the fresh ... okay but not great.)

Using a cutting board & knife, mince the meat and make tamales. A large roast will make approx 1,000,000. You can also use the minced meat as you would ground beef, the minced meat is just tastier.

Slow-Cooked Coffee Roast

Step 1

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2

Trim the excess fat from a 4 lb. beef roast and then with clean hands, rub black pepper over the entire surface of the meat.

Step 3

Add 2 tsp. olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and then using tongs, add the roast to the pot. Brown the meat on both sides for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until it turns a dark brown color. Transfer the meat from the Dutch oven to a platter.

Step 4

Add another 2 tbsp. olive oil to the Dutch oven, reduce the heat on your stove top to medium and add the onion slices. Stir fry the onions for 5 to 7 minutes, until they soften and start to turn brown, then add the minced garlic and thyme and continue cooking for another minute.

Step 5

Pour in the coffee and vinegar or lemon juice and bring the liquid to a simmer. Return the roast to the pot and using tongs or a spoon, cover the top of the roast with the browned onions.

Step 6

Cover the Dutch oven and put it in the oven for 2 to 3 hours. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of the roast to make sure it reaches a temperature of 145 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit before removing it from your oven. Using a spatula, transfer it to a serving platter and let the meat sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)