Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes using Bok Choy or Mustard Greens?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi there! I started getting a CSA vegetable box delivered each week. It's great fresh organic vegetables straight from a local farm. Only problem is I find I have trouble using it all before it starts getting rotten ... This week I made the turnip greens in a chicken stock, radish top soup, lentil & kale soup with turnips, had the radish in salads. But I'm left with Bok Choy and mustard greens. New box comes tomorrow. Any ideas will be much appreciated! 

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LindaClement
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Mmm... bok choy!

Trim any browned bits. Cut leaves from the white stems, chop the stems into bite size pieces separate from the leaves. Slice the leaves into strips.

Stir fry in hot oil, starting with the stem pieces, just a few minutes, toss on seasoning (whatever, I'll make a list in a minute), and the cut leaves and stirfry just until wilted, remove from heat and serve sprinkled with toppings (another list :D)

Seasonings:

Asian sesame: 2tbsp water, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or sambal olek (very hot choice, replace with dried chilies if you can't find it), 1tsp brown sugar and 1/2tsp blended (toasted) sesame oil

Classic 'American' Chinese food: 2tbsp water, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1tbsp rice or white wine vinegar, 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp cornstarch (stir this all together before adding to pan, stir quickly to distribute as it thickens)

French-ish: 2tbsp water, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar

Toppings:

Asian sesame: toasted sesame seeds (hot pan, add seeds until the first start popping, shaking regularly to toss and roast evenly)

Classic Chinese: toasted peanuts or cashews (same method as above, takes a little longer and they don't pop :D)

French-ish: crumbled feta

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I probably have enough to try all the ways you suggest. If not all this week, I'm sure I'll get some more in another delivery.

sara_7106
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Tfs

Quoting LindaClement:

Mmm... bok choy!

Trim any browned bits. Cut leaves from the white stems, chop the stems into bite size pieces separate from the leaves. Slice the leaves into strips.

Stir fry in hot oil, starting with the stem pieces, just a few minutes, toss on seasoning (whatever, I'll make a list in a minute), and the cut leaves and stirfry just until wilted, remove from heat and serve sprinkled with toppings (another list :D)

Seasonings:

Asian sesame: 2tbsp water, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or sambal olek (very hot choice, replace with dried chilies if you can't find it), 1tsp brown sugar and 1/2tsp blended (toasted) sesame oil

Classic 'American' Chinese food: 2tbsp water, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1tbsp rice or white wine vinegar, 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp cornstarch (stir this all together before adding to pan, stir quickly to distribute as it thickens)

French-ish: 2tbsp water, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar

Toppings:

Asian sesame: toasted sesame seeds (hot pan, add seeds until the first start popping, shaking regularly to toss and roast evenly)

Classic Chinese: toasted peanuts or cashews (same method as above, takes a little longer and they don't pop :D)

French-ish: crumbled feta

SarahSuzyQ
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Wow, good thing PP had suggestions... I've never cooked either of those things! That's actually why I'm reluctant to join a CSA, because I worry that I would get a lot of things we wouldn't like/use. How are you finding it so far?

childofgod04
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I have no idea since I've never heard of those things let alone tried them. I hope you get to use it before it goes bad!
MrsRobinson06
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm not sure but what a neat idea.

BKozICan
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not OP, but I belong to two csas. From one farm, I get basic stuff like strawberries, broccoli, cabbage, peas, potatoes, etc. The other farm is a frou-frou organic place and I get herbs, kale (omg, the amount of kale I have gotten this year), two kinds of radishes, three kinds of lettuces, garlic scapes.

I love getting to try different things. I would not have realized that I love turnips (sauteed with butter and carmelized with just a touch of sugar) or radishes. I know that I will get several different heirloom tomatoes later in the summer and lots of hard squash.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Wow, good thing PP had suggestions... I've never cooked either of those things! That's actually why I'm reluctant to join a CSA, because I worry that I would get a lot of things we wouldn't like/use. How are you finding it so far?

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I like not having to buy any vegetables at the supermarket during growing season here. I also like trying new things, & the family is usually pretty game too. I feel it helps force us to eat healthier too!

I'll be making the Bok Choy tonight in a stir fry with chicken over rice. 

I made the mustard greens last night using a Rachel Ray recipe. Braised with 4slices bacon, 2tbls. white vinegar, 2tsp. sugar, salt & 2cups chicken broth. Brown bacon, add chopped greens in batches, cook & turn til they wilt, add vinegar, cook a minute. Season with sugar & salt. Add chicken broth & cover. Reduce heat to simmer 15-20 minutes. Very good! I ate the leftovers cold for lunch!

I tried them raw first & my head almost exploded they were so mustardy! Lol!

louannwilkins
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

The only way I've ever had bok choy was at a get together and it was made into a side dish and was delicious!!!  It looked like a salad where it had been chopped up and I'm not sure what all was in it except for one thing...it was ramen noodles all throughout and they were a little crunchy.  I'll have to email her and ask what the name was if no one else knows. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)