Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Need some help! (Feeding a group)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 3 Replies

My husband and I decided today that we would like to do sloppy joes for our son's birthday party this year for something a little different (the past two years we have grilled hotdogs and hamburgers).  We usually have around 25 adults and 5 or 6 kids under age 10.  How many pounds of ground beef do you think we should purchase to feed everyone?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM

A lot would factor into this.

Are the sloppy joes going to be the focus of the meal or will you offer several sides?  Will the kids eat a whole full-size sloppy joe each?  How many sloppy joes do you think each adult would eat?

For me personally, I'd figure 2 sloppy joes per man, 1 sloppy joe per woman/child....and I'd say you'd get 8 sloppy joes out of a pound of meat if you don't pile the filling on the bun so high that half of it falls out.  I'd offer pasta salad, potato chips, veggie sticks & dip/guac & chips, and a fruit salad as sides.

katy911
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Oh, we will definitely have a lot of sides, but the sloppy joes would be considered the main dish. Thank you for your reply! It definitely helps to know about how many joe's I should get per pound of meat.
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

1 lb ground beef + 1 can sloppy joe sauce makes 8 sandwiches. (If you use ground turkey, chicken, or pork, you need 1 1/2 lbs meat  and need to use a sloppy joe dry packet + tomato according to dry packet instructions.)

I make enough for adults to have 2 sandwiches and the kids to have 1 and waste 1 so 2 for each kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN