Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

I need your help ladies...!!! Please read.

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 2 Replies

Ok this week is tough and I have very little like maybe $50 to spend on groceries. I need some help. Can you help me do a 5 day meal plan on that? That is just for dinners. Thanks so much.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Stick with inexpensive meats like chicken legs, ground turkey, pork chops, maybe ground beef if you can find a sale.  Buy produce that is in season right now.  Supplement with potatoes/biscuits/rice.

If your family likes coleslaw, one head of cabbage will easily make coleslaw enough for two meals.  You could have oven fried or BBQ chicken legs with coleslaw and oven fries.  Coleslaw will also go nicely with grilled pork chops or smoked sausage/polish kielbasa, or with fish tacos if you like them (find some inexpensive frozen fish for those.)

Other seasonal things include winter squash (stuffed acorn squash with sausage or pork chops.....butternut squash soup with herbed chicken legs...etc.), carrots (carrot souffle, carrot salad, glazed carrots), etc.

Chicken Pierre is a tasty dish that uses chicken drumsticks and rice.  Just add steamed green veggies or a salad to complete.

Chicken Drumsticks Pierre

• 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 dashes pepper
  • 16 chicken drumsticks
  • 6 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 c. water
  • 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. vinegar (we use white)
  • 4 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tsp. celery seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 to 10 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)

Mix together the flour, salt, and pepper. Coat the drum sticks with the seasoned flour. Melt the butter in a skillet with a lid. Brown the chicken over medium heat on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan. In the same pan, combine the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer about 45 minutes.

We like to serve this over hot boiled rice.

Makes 8 servings.

Chicken and rice casserole incorporates chicken legs and rice into another tasty dish.

Grab a bag of stir fry veggies and make chicken teriyaki with veggies (I add the veggies at the end and let simmer until they're tender)

Teriyaki Chicken

• 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1/4 inch slices
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 2/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Whisk to mix well. Marinate chicken in 1/3 to 1/2 of the sauce for 2 to 3 hours (we've done it for less than that).

Drain marinade off chicken, reserving the marinade. Stir fry chicken in vegetable oil over medium high heat until chicken is cooked. Stir in remaining marinade and continue stir frying until chicken is done and glazed.

Stir cornstarch into remaining sauce and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens slightly. (I do this while chicken is cooking). Serve chicken over hot rice with the sauce.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Just buy some of those complete dinner boxes. They cost less than $5 each and come with all the extra's like toppings. Gives you a lot more variety than making a big pot of one thing to last the entire week and cost $50.  That leaves you with about $25 to spend on apples & bananas, tootsie rolls, crackers, & beverages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)