Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

why do i spend more when I meal plan?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

when I meal plan for dinners. have lunch/breakfast items picked out. I seem to spend more. then just shopping for what we are running out of. or what I see looks good when I get there (ideas for lunch and dinners).... when doing the latter I can go two weeks with out needing to shop.... but if I meal plan I have to go everyweek. and I tend to spend more in general and in the end.

am I doing it wrong?

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kimber2465
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM

do you have all the basics on hand?

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM

depends on the recipe... 

Quoting kimber2465:

do you have all the basics on hand?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

When you meal plan, do you just choose any old meal?  Do you plan meals based on what you already have?

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM

whatever I or the family is craving/wanting... 

Quoting michiganmom116:

When you meal plan, do you just choose any old meal?  Do you plan meals based on what you already have?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

...and you do the same thing at the store, basically.  So what's different?  Are their wants for more expensive meals when you plan ahead? 

Quoting pregnantmama105:

Quoting michiganmom116:

pregnantmama105
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

i guess not.. its we dont have the ingredient for it ( or a lot of things in general)

Quoting michiganmom116:

...and you do the same thing at the store, basically.  So what's different?  Are their wants for more expensive meals when you plan ahead? 

Quoting pregnantmama105:

Quoting michiganmom116:

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I don't see why you are worried about meal planning.  Seems like you have a system that works for you. 

charla_r
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Maybe making a list of spices/ingredients you already have on hand first and then meal planning from there will help.  Supercook.com allows you to input ingredients you have on hand and it will provide recipes using those ingredients.  I always make a list of the items I have on hand already before I start meal planning for the month.  I choose recipes that use those ingredients/spices.  I spend way more by not having a plan than I do when I meal plan.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM
If I pick out meals or new recipes, I tend to be detailed and specific and shop for those ingredients, no matter the cost. It does cost more.

If I just use what looks good and what's at home, I do not buy as much, it's cheaper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)