Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

need help with a budget

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ok..I only grocery shop every two weeks..and get what we need...we r a family of four...my bill is always about 400.00 every 2 weeks...now my husband buys those healthy choice meals and those ref's up things...they r about 1.58 each..He eats 2 a day..so I get about 24 of those and 12 healthy choice type things...(this is a big part yes)..but I would love to get my bull down. ..how to you guys budget and all that jazz!!
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBeMe
by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

i feel like my advice isn't a very good one for a lot of ppl but what really helps me keep our grocery budget in check is making as much as I can myself instead of buying the premade stuff. and obviously you already realize the frozen dinners are probably a big budget buster.

I also try to make as many meals with stuff we already have before I start thinking of things I need to buy ingredients for.  Fruit & veggies that are in season or frozen if they are off season. Last would probably be planning out all our meals & what the kids will pack for lunch: that way I'm not just buying a bunch of things so we have a options but just what is on the menu.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Big Part??? Your spending $75 or less on Healthy Choice food.  You should work to budget the other $325 more efficiently.  Wishing I had freezer space for all those HC meals! :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I budget whatever we have left after the bills are paid  LOL  With 6 people (3 adults, 3 teens), I can have it anywhere from $70 a week to $125 week on average including cat litter, bulk items, LOTS of produce.  I cook from scratch for the most part and we eat grain-free.  I use coconut and almond flour to bake with.

We buy meat in bulk so those costs don't usually figure into my weekly budget.

Try breaking down your grocery bill into categories:  dairy, produce, meats, etc.  See where you're spending the most money, then look for ways to reduce those costs.  Breakfast cereal is much more expensive than homemade pancakes or oatmeal or eggs/egg casseroles.  Sandwiches can be pretty expensive between the bread, deli meat, cheese.  Is meat the main entree at dinner?  Maybe try some casseroles or skillet meals/stir fry, or even main dish salads like taco salad.

minermanswife
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:51 AM

i know its most of my problem..my husband eats them for work ..he is trying to lose weight. this is the only reason they are getting bought..I dont eat them

Quoting DissieDothe:

Big Part??? Your spending $75 or less on Healthy Choice food.  You should work to budget the other $325 more efficiently.  Wishing I had freezer space for all those HC meals! :)

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Quoting minermanswife:

i know its most of my problem..my husband eats them for work ..he is trying to lose weight. this is the only reason they are getting bought..I dont eat them

Quoting DissieDothe:

You misunderstood my reply.  The budget problem is NOT the Healthy Choice meals.  You're spending very little money for the Healthy Choice. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM

The Revs.... the wrap things?  Couldn't you buy the wraps and meat and make them yourself for less?

minermanswife
by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM
We buy those and the Rev wraps..The Rev wraps are almost 2.00 a piece...I'm gonna try my best this time

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting minermanswife:

Quoting DissieDothe:

You misunderstood my reply.  The budget problem is NOT the Healthy Choice meals.  You're spending very little money for the Healthy Choice. 

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Quoting minermanswife: We buy those and the Rev wraps..The Rev wraps are almost 2.00 a piece...I'm gonna try my best this time

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting minermanswife:

Quoting DissieDothe:

You are planning to tell us how you spend $325 one item at a time?  I happen to know that a lot of those Healthy Choice meals have coupons attached to the box outside or inside. And there are lots of coupons for the Rev Wraps. If you are going to buy this type of food, use the coupons!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Again...

You can create the wraps yourself for a LOT less that what you're buying them for.  You'll need flour tortillas, sliced lunchmeat (ham, pepperoni, turkey, etc.) and cheese.   Simple.  Cheaper.  Wrap in plastic wrap when you're done making them.

tazmidgiefairy
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Why can't he make healthier lunches as home and take them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN