Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Buying beef in bulk?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm considering buying 1/4 cow this year.  Have any of you done that?  My silly question is this: can I put it in my regular freezer (i have an extre fridge in my basement), or would it be better to get a deep freeze?  Thanks in advance for any insight!

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I buy a whole beef every spring.  Last year it took one upright and one chest freezer to hold all of the meat.  I'm not sure a regular refrigerator freezer or two would have that capacity.  The meat would be fine if you can fit it all in there.

awilson2112
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Thanks!  Since I'm only getting 1/4, and my fridge/freezer downstairs is completely empty, I think I can get away with it.  I'll also have a little space in my normal freezer upstairs.  I'm just not sure I want to shell out a ton of $$ for a deep freeze - especially since I'll be spending quite a bit on the meat already. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I buy a whole beef every spring.  Last year it took one upright and one chest freezer to hold all of the meat.  I'm not sure a regular refrigerator freezer or two would have that capacity.  The meat would be fine if you can fit it all in there.

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I had gotten half a pig once and that fit in my small upright freezer. I would think it depends on the size of the freezer.

Where do you get the beef in bulk from?  I recenly bought some bulk beef via an amazon deal, but it was frozen & not local.

kimber2465
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

i have a deep freeze. works well for me. 

awilson2112
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I'm getting it from a local 4H.  My sister did it last year, so we're going to share 1/2 of the cow.  The freezer I'm talking about is just a regular freezer on top of a refrigerator.  It's empty, though, because it's in my downstairs kitchen and I don't use it much.  Thanks for your response!

Quoting scapermom:

I had gotten half a pig once and that fit in my small upright freezer. I would think it depends on the size of the freezer.

Where do you get the beef in bulk from?  I recenly bought some bulk beef via an amazon deal, but it was frozen & not local.

adamsmom0116
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM

We buy a half every 5-6 months. We also have a big chest freezer in the basement that is mainly used to store this, and other "stock up items" that I purchase. The meat will be fine in any freezer - it just depends on how much room you have available in your regular freezer.

Melina74
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We just bought a half, we have a small chest freezer and used a spare double door fridge/freezer (freezer side only) and we were able to fit it all.  It was snug, but it's all in there.

awilson2112
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Great, thanks!  Now that I know it will be okay in a regular freezer, I won't worry about finding a chest freezer.  I'm fairly confident I have room between the 2 of my freezers. (one is completely empty)  :)

Quoting adamsmom0116:

We buy a half every 5-6 months. We also have a big chest freezer in the basement that is mainly used to store this, and other "stock up items" that I purchase. The meat will be fine in any freezer - it just depends on how much room you have available in your regular freezer.

tmtt27
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I just split a half cow with my MIL.  I have not got it yet beacuse of all the bad weather that we have had.  I hope to have it in the next couple of weeks.  I have a small upright freezer to store mine in.

2GirlsMom110
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Okay where do you people live? & how much does that send you back? I don't even know that we can do it here in the subs of L.A. Califronia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)