Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Any Low-carb or Mediterranean mommies?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM
  • 14 Replies
I was wondering if any of you ladies have a sample of what you would eat on a low-carb menu? I need to lose quite a bit of weight and have been thinking about low-carb or even Mediterranean, but I am finding more food lists than family-friendly weekly meal menus. My hubby isn't heavy but our six-year-old is a big boy, so I want to improve our eating as a family so we're healthy. We've been working with a nutritionist and it doesn't seem to help.
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Sorry no help. Heres a bump

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I follow a nutrient dense diet known as paleo/primal.  It can be low carb, and it's definitely lower in carbs than the average American diet.  My whole family follows it (although the rest of them cheat sometimes  LOL)

Breakfast:  eggs in some way/shape/form, dairy free smoothies (frozen fruit, coconut milk, water if it's too thick), cheese, ham/sausage/bacon from a healthy source, biscuits/muffins made using almond/coconut flours, veggies in the form of hash, frittata or juice.

Lunches:  lettuce wraps (meat/cheese/veggies wrapped in a lettuce leaf...romaine works great), homemade broth-based soups, huge chef salads with protein (eggs, meat, cheese), dinner leftovers

Dinners:  animal protein, 2 to 3 veggie dishes (roasted, raw, steamed, salads, baked), maybe a fruit salad....or anything that would mix these.  Example:  zucchini or eggplant lasagna (no noodles, use the zucchini or eggplant for that), taco salad, Greek chicken served over salad, artichoke chicken, stir fry served over grated carrots or zucchini or riced cauliflower, baked fish & veggies

Snacks:  nuts, cheese, low-glycemic fruit

Avoid processed foods, grains/legumes/white potatoes (notoriously carb-heavy with relatively little nutrition), milk & yogurt (carb heavy), and artificial sweeteners.

A low carb diet requires that you eat healthy fats in order to fuel your body.  I use coconut oil, real butter, olive oil, nuts/nut flours, avocado, fatty fish, full fat cheese in order to get what I need.

I lost 30 pounds eating this way.

schatzi869
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Thank you. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

I follow a nutrient dense diet known as paleo/primal.  It can be low carb, and it's definitely lower in carbs than the average American diet.  My whole family follows it (although the rest of them cheat sometimes  LOL)

Breakfast:  eggs in some way/shape/form, dairy free smoothies (frozen fruit, coconut milk, water if it's too thick), cheese, ham/sausage/bacon from a healthy source, biscuits/muffins made using almond/coconut flours, veggies in the form of hash, frittata or juice.

Lunches:  lettuce wraps (meat/cheese/veggies wrapped in a lettuce leaf...romaine works great), homemade broth-based soups, huge chef salads with protein (eggs, meat, cheese), dinner leftovers

Dinners:  animal protein, 2 to 3 veggie dishes (roasted, raw, steamed, salads, baked), maybe a fruit salad....or anything that would mix these.  Example:  zucchini or eggplant lasagna (no noodles, use the zucchini or eggplant for that), taco salad, Greek chicken served over salad, artichoke chicken, stir fry served over grated carrots or zucchini or riced cauliflower, baked fish & veggies

Snacks:  nuts, cheese, low-glycemic fruit

Avoid processed foods, grains/legumes/white potatoes (notoriously carb-heavy with relatively little nutrition), milk & yogurt (carb heavy), and artificial sweeteners.

A low carb diet requires that you eat healthy fats in order to fuel your body.  I use coconut oil, real butter, olive oil, nuts/nut flours, avocado, fatty fish, full fat cheese in order to get what I need.

I lost 30 pounds eating this way.

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Good luck! I'm not on a diet or anything, just practicing eating things in moderation :)

proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM
:) bump
Debmomto2girls
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been following a wheat-free, cleaner eating (not completely clean because it gets expernsive) and mostly dairy free.

I did it for multiple reasons. My oldest dd has always battled her weight and so have I.  I also have digestive problems, etc.

Anyway, it's been a month and we have all lost weight and feel better.

schatzi869
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Could you possibly share a couple of days' sample menus? It sounds like something that might be good for us. I have always been big, even as a child, and it looks to be the same with our son.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I have been following a wheat-free, cleaner eating (not completely clean because it gets expernsive) and mostly dairy free.

I did it for multiple reasons. My oldest dd has always battled her weight and so have I.  I also have digestive problems, etc.

Debmomto2girls
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM
I used various websites and the Wheat Belly book to guide me but here is a sample of a daily meal.

Breakfast- steel cut oatmeal or eggs with spinach and tomato plus sometimes turkey bacon

Lunch- salad with a lot of veggies and sometimes baked chicken

Dinner - grilled chicken, cauliflower "mashed potatoe" and a veggie

Snacks - carrots, celery, almond butter with apples, almonds, tomato/cucumber,guacamole with wheat and gluten-free tortilla chips

The biggest thing is we only drink water. Never soda or juice.

Quoting schatzi869: Could you possibly share a couple of days' sample menus? It sounds like something that might be good for us. I have always been big, even as a child, and it looks to be the same with our son.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

schatzi869
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Debmomto2girls: I used various websites and the Wheat Belly book to guide me but here is a sample of a daily meal.

Breakfast- steel cut oatmeal or eggs with spinach and tomato plus sometimes turkey bacon

Lunch- salad with a lot of veggies and sometimes baked chicken

Dinner - grilled chicken, cauliflower "mashed potatoe" and a veggie

Snacks - carrots, celery, almond butter with apples, almonds, tomato/cucumber,guacamole with wheat and gluten-free tortilla chips

The biggest thing is we only drink water. Never soda or juice.

Quoting schatzi869: Could you possibly share a couple of days' sample menus? It sounds like something that might be good for us. I have always been big, even as a child, and it looks to be the same with our son.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM
We have done the south beach diet before which is low carb.
Check out Pinterest and Google south beach recipes.
Lettuce wraps are better then bread IMO anyways :) dinner we always just did a meat and veggie
Bkf was a lot of eggs. Loads of awesome ideas and recipes!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN