Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do I feel like I have to reinvent the wheel?

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 152 Total Views

I looked for a deer lapbook and found one that had all the topics I wanted to discuss with my son.  Even extra stuff we can add as he gets older.

A lady had made templates that everyone could use. Not my style of font, but I shouldn't be picky.

Soooo, why do I feel the need to do it ALL BY MYSELF?  Like, start from scratch?  Why isn't it ok to just use her templates? 

Do any of you feel this way?

by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jeremmy
by on Oct. 31, 2010 at 8:12 PM
I feel this way, but i dont succumb to it. i let my son put his lapbooks together himself (hes 4), so the easier, the better. i will probably try to be more creative once he gets a bit older. that way he can be more a part of the process too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scrappinbama
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I think this is a common feeling because we want it to be unique but it is ok to use someone elses idea just tweak it a bit to conform to your unique style. Try changing the font.

Kentuckygal511
by Group Owner on Nov. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Nope. Don't feel this way at all. I'm thrilled when I can find everything we need all done for me. As long as the info fits what I'm trying to teach I find it a wonderful relaxing project instead of stressing about having to do it all myself, especially since we write all our own curriculum (so from that point of view I do get what you're saying) but as far as lapbooks are concerned, I feel way out of my element when doing them from scratch. We're doing a rat one now and I had to look at about a million animal lapbook examples first just to have an idea of what info to put in it. I say just take the bonuses life throws at you, like complete lapbooks, and use your extra time to play with your kiddos.

Flowergirl2000
by on Nov. 13, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Me too! As I have posted before I am rather a perfectionist when it comes to creative things such as this.  I have used some templates that others use but I find that I'm adding some of my own and ds's creative touches.  You're not alone :) I have had to make my own weather and math lapbooks without using templates.  I think Homeschooling is like inventing the wheel over and over again!

Photobucket

LovemyQ
by Member on Nov. 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Well, I guess I will have to control myself then, LOL! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)