Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A House for Hermit Crab lapbook

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 1896 Total Views

A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle

It focuses on concepts of beginning, middle, end

friendship and how to ask for what you want

calendar year and names months

sea creatures (of course!)

feelings (of hermit crab)

As with all Eric Carle, you can review colors. This book shows how different shapes can make pictures. (rectangle, triangle, circle)

I don't have all the websites, but homeschoolshare.com has much, I searched google images for the crab in the clear shell, and what the hermit crab looks like out of its shell. I will try to find the web addresses.

The cover: I cut wiggly green construction paper for seaweed.

I only color printed some stuff. Glued a blue construction paper background so it looks like it is in water and only glued the seaweed on the top and bottom so I could slide things inside as a holder. Some are only glued on the bottom.

i used a flimstrip style template taped into an accordion pleat for begining, middle, and end. I used the same pictures as the months of the year worksheet as shown in the last picture. Then we placed emoticons on each picture to show how Hermit Crab was feeling at that time.

Underneath the "predators" "birds, crabs, etc" is a picture or drawing my son did.

I am so proud of this art project, lol. I traced Hermit Crab as best I could from the cover of the book and cut it out. Then I cut a shell shape which my son drew the swirls and colored the crab. I didn't care what color - the goal was to practice coloring.

Then I cut out some shapes to make Hermit's friends. Some my ds cut out to practice scissor skills. Then he glued away! Wherever he wanted to put things he got to do it. I gave him freedom to be creative.

Here is the worksheet. DS cut out the squares and glued what happened when. We referenced the book when he forgot in what order things happened.

This was a very fun project. As you can tell, I did a lot of work on the lapbook. My ds is 4 and didn't want to cut out as much as was needed. There was a lot of cutting and glueing. We took a couple of weeks to do this because we discussed many topics are reviewed things like months of the year, feelings, etc.

Happy Lapbooking!

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LovemyQ
by Member on Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM

You could also put sandpaper on the bottom for a sandy ocean floor.

mom2queenie2004
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Awsome job!

SilentDraconia
by New Member on Oct. 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Oh I like this one! we are about to do hermit crabs The boys just adopted 2! Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)