Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Competing with Video Games

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

my husband is big into video games. you name the game system he has it, name the game he has beaten it.  He comes home from work and plays, plays before bed, plays while in bed, its all the time. I know that it is his way to unwind but it bugs me when I am cleaning the house, trying to get homework done, while chasing after our 18 month old, and i am 8 months pregnant. Does anyone else have a video game addicted hubby or boyfriend or have any suggestions on how to get him to cut back a little bit.

by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Been in your situation! Thank God the Xbox messed up!

I was a video game widow, as they say, because I was ignored while that console was on. And he was obsessed with it.

I finally laid down some ground rules. I made him to his half of the household chores BEFORE turning on the console (he hates cleaning but if I gripe enough he does his chores). He also knew that he couldn't play it for hours at a time because we only have one TV and I might want to watch something.

Nothing made me madder to be cleaning my butt off around the house and have him sitting on his butt playing video games. Then after seeing how he cleaned the house, I made him play the games to keep him out of my hair! He can play it all he wants when I'm not around but I want attention when I'm home.

LatashaNicole
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 11:57 AM

well he doesnt play very often but when he does get into the mood where he obssesed with the game i will join him it doesnt bother me if i didt play with him sumtimes he acts like he dont want me join but i do anyways lol

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I would simply tell hm that you and he kids need more of his time.  Ask him if he can limit the game playing to a time frame (like from 9pm-11pm)

LatashaNicole
by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM

if he spends 2 much on the game and I want time with him but he doesnt wonna put the control down then I am joining so either way I'm getting my time with him lol even though it not the way I want it but hey I'm getting it at the end of the day that whats matter

Jsmommy0528
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Omg!! You would not believe the problems video games have caused in my relationship. My husband and I were only nineteen when we got married so my DH still did things kind of like he did when he lived at home. His mother let him play video games all day everyday throughout his childhood, even when he was little. So this was a deep rooted problem. Finally after much fighting we came to a compromise. He plays games from the time he gets home until dinner is ready, about an hour, then he hangs out with me and our son for a while and after bathtime and storytime and putting our son to bed he plays for a few more hours. He gets to play his game and we get to spend time with him everybody wins. I even started my own world of warcraft acct and he started a character he only plays when I am playing, which isn't too often cuz I don't like video games much.

Serenity75
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM

This use to be a HUGE issue between us.  I finally got him to compromise.  Now he only plays during certain times... like when I'm not home or after the kids go to bed.  He also has to ask if it's okay to play, not because I want to be his "mommy" but because he would pick the worst times to start playing a game (usually when I needed his help with the kids or something similar).

SparklingHope
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Yeah, I don't deal with that problem. He knows if he were to have a system he would be addicted to it..so he doesn't have a 360. We have a wii, but that's more of a family game system.

orange4agua72
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM

LAY DOWN THE LAW! Give him a list of things to do, my husband ALWAYS needs list or he wouldn't do ANYTHING...

GL, my ex used to be THE SAME WAY and I DESPISED IT!

sexymomma_88
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM
We only play wen the kids r in bed cus a lots of his games aren't for kids eyes. But I have found a great away to get him off! Now mind u my kids r asleep by this time but I usally to a lil strip dance off to the side not in front of him just so he caches u out of the corner of his eye, lmao if ur dh is anything like mine he is up and off in a few secs lmao!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Belinda829
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I have problems with the video games. I tried the whole only one tv thing last year, well he went out and got another. Problem fixed. I have learned to deal with it. The games have totally replaced me, or so it seems. I have gotten used to it. I dont set rules down for him. He is a grown man and im not his mom. I dont feel like fighting with him just to enforce the rule, i have enough of that with my 3 year old lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)