Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Competing with Video Games

my husband is big into video games. you name the game system he has it, name the game he has beaten it.  He comes home from work and plays, plays before bed, plays while in bed, its all the time. I know that it is his way to unwind but it bugs me when I am cleaning the house, trying to get homework done, while chasing after our 18 month old, and i am 8 months pregnant. Does anyone else have a video game addicted hubby or boyfriend or have any suggestions on how to get him to cut back a little bit.

by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Replies (11-18):
honesty33
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

my SO is addicted to his xbox too ..when hes not working or sleeping hes on his xbox..doesnt even know im there when hes playing ..:( 

MSully3
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM
That was the # 1 problem with stbx...that's all he wanted to do was play his stupid WoW, starcraft, other rpgs....it caused TONS of arguemnts. He'd rather play those then be with his kids, or me. All the way to the end I hated that computer! Yes I tried playing with him, only to be belittled for not knowing what I was doing, or yelled at for exploring on my own, or ignored cuz he wanted to join his guild or buddies on ther stuff.

I want a partner who wants to have their own seperate time away from me yes, but also be able to step away from that and spend time with me and my kids. I refuse to be ignored for a game!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzymom760
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Quoting ShannaBee:

Been in your situation! Thank God the Xbox messed up!

I was a video game widow, as they say, because I was ignored while that console was on. And he was obsessed with it.

I finally laid down some ground rules. I made him to his half of the household chores BEFORE turning on the console (he hates cleaning but if I gripe enough he does his chores). He also knew that he couldn't play it for hours at a time because we only have one TV and I might want to watch something.

Nothing made me madder to be cleaning my butt off around the house and have him sitting on his butt playing video games. Then after seeing how he cleaned the house, I made him play the games to keep him out of my hair! He can play it all he wants when I'm not around but I want attention when I'm home.

This is me....except when he did have his ps3 I nagged him enough to make him trade it for a car to get his butt back to work. Now I'm forced to compete with that darned laptop! Our deal is, 8pm cut off time for both our laptops and were free to use them when neither is home.

jazzymom760
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Quoting MSully3:

That was the # 1 problem with stbx...that's all he wanted to do was play his stupid WoW, starcraft, other rpgs....it caused TONS of arguemnts. He'd rather play those then be with his kids, or me. All the way to the end I hated that computer! Yes I tried playing with him, only to be belittled for not knowing what I was doing, or yelled at for exploring on my own, or ignored cuz he wanted to join his guild or buddies on ther stuff.

I want a partner who wants to have their own seperate time away from me yes, but also be able to step away from that and spend time with me and my kids. I refuse to be ignored for a game!

This is totally my problem NOW! Except IDK if he's more addicted to poking smot with his buds or fiddling with his laptop:\ Oh but he'll work and pay bills, it's just trying to get him to prioritize his time thats starting to tear a hole through our relationship. It's almost as if we live seperate lives while taking care of home at the same time. His excuse for his not being involved with me and the kids is "he's tired coz he works alot and would rather stay home (he works away from home for wks at a time)" :/

JDarln
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM

My boyfriend is big into video games and electronic gadgets. He has every game system, lots of computers, an Evo and Epic, Ipod touch, and now just got some kinda tablet. He usually spends all evening at his house playing games then comes over pretty late for sex and to sleep. I'm afraid some of the stories I'm hearing are what I got to look forward to.

ronynsmama
by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I was going to defend him, but that's rediculous. He needs to put the controller down at least for an hour and help you out. My ex wasn't really "addicted" but he took it way too seriously. He'd yell and scream and throw things when he lost. You've probably already done this, but have a sit down with him. Unplug the Xbox and make him talk to you. Tell him that you need some help, even if he turns it off for just an hour. Maybe once it gets under control you two could play together! That's one way my boyfriend and I bond! I recommend Fallout New Vegas even though it's not a 2 player game.

heather18324
by on Nov. 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I know where your coming from. My husband stays up until 6  or 7 o'clock in the morning playing x-box and It's driving me crazy. He works a lot and I'm home taking care of our 7 month old son and the only time we get to spend together is at night or in bed and all he wants to do is play video games. I've thought about catching the baby asleep and my husband playing the game and just stand in front of it naked to get his attention. lol

natashaangel
by on Nov. 20, 2010 at 2:32 AM

my husband is addicted to video games but the problem is so am i. and i think that our kids r starting too. Right now i'm in the middle of Assassins Creed Brotherhood and my husband and i fight over who gets to play on the 360. lol. Our daughters fight over who gets to play on the computer cuz we allow them to play for an hour each. and they are only 4, 3 and 2 yrs old. I own a PS3 and a Gamecube also. our PSP broke cuz the kids fought over who got to play it. its horrible i know. and i'm 5months prego with our next baby girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)