Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

On/Off Again Relationships....

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do on again and off again relationships work?Me and my bf are this way.One day were together then the next were split up.We been together on/off for 6-8 months.Back and forth.I love him but he's an asshole.lolSometimes I think he only comes running back cause he wants sex.Any of you been there done that?Does it work out?Help...

by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lanie_momofone
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Me and my SO were like that for a while....i would get aggravated and upset over something he was doing , ( and actually the problem somehow revolved around his friends...he would make plans with me, then cancel to go hang out with the guys)...finally we had to really evaluate our relationship and if it was worth it , or if we should just walk away....

We both agreed it was worth it , and its been 7 years now and we have gotten a long way.

But its really something that you REALLY have to think is worth it....and...something i have figured out about myself, because i am always the one to "break it off"...i had to stop doing that. It didnt do anything, but cause hard feelings.

robertmommy
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 10:06 PM

u have to decide if this is something that u wanna keep doing b.c . the only one that can make that decision is u and your b/f

jenbscott
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Who breaks it off each time. Are you his "booty call"? Maybe he's your "booty call"?

My view on relationships like this is that when things don't work out with new partners, you always have your, for lack of better term, safety net. Which isn't really a good thing because it 's just a "for now" kind of thing.

I've been in a relationship like that. It was exhausting. I had end it for good. It was just a waste of time.

Why do you keep going back to him? Because you love him? Does he know you love him? And, if he does know but leaves you anyway, he's just using you...taking advantage of you.

4_28_bbboy
by on Nov. 21, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Nope that is why they are considered on and off...they work for a short period of time then they don't...honestly and personally I think they are  a waste of complete time period!

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM
I would never stay in a relationship like this, personally. I'd find someone who wanted a long term relationship. On again/ off again relatioships are a roller coaster ride that can leave shattered self esteem and negative views of relationships on one or both partners. It seems like it is about sex, you are his safety net, his backup plan for when he's lonely. Do you two fight alot? Who does the leaving? Who initiates reconciling? I think a woman deserves better than to be strung along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kybella
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I was in a relationship like that years and years ago and it was sooo emotionally taxing.  We were each other's safety nets when other things didn't work out.  However, we weren't making any plans to be together seriously either.  So after a while I ended it.  It was hard to do because whether I wanted to admit it, I still had feelings for him.  But in the end it was the best thing I've ever done.

rockinmomto2
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

DH and I were like that for a while while we were dating. Then I got pregnant, and it made things worse. We finally straightened things out when I was 7 months pregnant with our oldest. It still takes a lot of work, but we love each other. We've now been together for 6 years, and married almost 5.

orange4agua72
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I don't think that's ever a good thing. I feel like if you say you want to break up, then that's what you mean... Saying things like that during a fight are NOT acceptable to me!

But I don't know if it would work for other people...

loves2lovekay
by on Nov. 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM
I have been in a relationship like that in the past...a big waste of 2 years! Thank god I realized it and ended it then found the love of my life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)