Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing home the bacon

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

Is it really still a mans responsibility to be the breadwinner of the family?

by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Holly.
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:37 AM

I think it depends on the family. There are a lot of families where the woman is the main breadwinner, and that's what works for them. For our family, my husband prefers to be the main breadwinner and I prefer to stay home. :)

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM
DH is the breadwinner. He is old fashioned and says if I want a job my paycheck can be solely used on me for things I want and he'll handle the bills. In this economy most households have both spouses working to make ends meet. Statistically, men do make more money in trade jobs but women are kicking butt in corporate jobs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenbscott
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM
I still feel that my dh should be the breadwinner and any income I bring him will be to supplement his income. I am in school and hopefully one day my income will be a little moe than suplemental but still, he should always be the breadwinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jezzeria
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM
As of my whole pregnancy and right now i have been the bread winner and i honestly prefer if that way. My husband is reliable in a ton of ways but keeping a job isnt always one of them. Me being the bread winner makes me feel secure and helpful. Husband would prefer to be the bread winner though.
orange4agua72
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Technically: YES... but if there was something going on (job loss or illness) I would NOt hold it over his head EVER!

LovelyMother88
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Right now he is 100% the bread winner. I am a SAHM. But once I finish school I will be helping him out.

kybella
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I don't think so.  But I think it depends on what works for that household.  In ours, I have to work some to help with the bills, but what I do gets me as close to SAHM as possible. 

Though my DH wishes I'd win the lottery so he wouldn't have to work :)

soymujer
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I don't think so.  We both work and I make more money than hubby.

family in the van   Mom of four

Sophie4910
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I think so. I think the man should be the one making money. But its different for everyone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)