Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

If you can't stand your in-laws...

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

how do you handle the holidays with them? Does DH/SO know you can't stand them? How do you compromise or do you?

by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ShannaBee
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM
DH knows! They drive him nuts to so he is very understanding of my feelings. I spend more time with my family as his tend to hog the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetiepye2004
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM

So does DH go with you to your family's then?

agregors
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Thank God my kids are from my 1st marriage! I hate my current mother in law and DH knows it. I try to be civil but the hate oozes from my eyes..lol. He spends the holidays with her, and the kids and I go to be with my family. We don't mix families. We are married but we live our separate lives.

Sophie4910
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM

He knows I hate them. We live far away from both of our families because he is in the military but when we do go home for hollidays Im just civil. I dont pretend to like them but im not rude.

ShannaBee
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM
So far we have not had a Thanksgiving together. In '08 we were dating and spent Thanksgiving with our families and met up later that day. '09, DH was in the hospital during Thanksgiving. And we just found out for this year, he has to go to Texas because of his job. I am upset. I mean, we've never celebrated a Thanksgiving together! So I'm spending it with my family.

Quoting sweetiepye2004:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sophie4910
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I know how that is. My husband is in the military. THis is our first thanksgiving together, will be our first christmas and new years and havent had a valentines day and wont agian this year.

Quoting ShannaBee:

So far we have not had a Thanksgiving together. In '08 we were dating and spent Thanksgiving with our families and met up later that day. '09, DH was in the hospital during Thanksgiving. And we just found out for this year, he has to go to Texas because of his job. I am upset. I mean, we've never celebrated a Thanksgiving together! So I'm spending it with my family.

Quoting sweetiepye2004:

sweetiepye2004
by on Nov. 24, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. Sophie-glad you'll be together for the holidays!!!!  Shanna-sorry you won't be together for this one :/

Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I suck it up and go, but usualy not on actual holidays.....maybe Christmas eve this year and they had their "thanksgiing" last weekend.  They are all heavy smokers and I hate being around the stink...not to mention I don't want the kids around that.  They aviod smoking in whatever house we are at when together but all thir houses reek and third hand smoke exists, so we limit the length of time we stay and I have a natural odor neutralizer called XO....i spray us before we even get in the car, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)