Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8yr old wants electronics for Christmas?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

Our Daughter's list consist of IPAD, xbox 360 kinect and Nook... She is advanced with technology but others say we shouldn't buy her these things because she needs to be a kid.  I mean she did include a "Barbie video girl" into the mix but that and a "Lala loopsy doll" are the only two things she has requested that are child oriented.  What do you think?

by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom2Jack04
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I would get maybe one large gift that's on her list but that's it and stick with more child toys or craft kits.  I loved jewelry making kits and such when I was a kid. 

MrsHubler
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Well, my daughter is 4 and we got her an iPod touch, barbie video girl, digital camera, and restored our old laptop for her.  so... I say get what you want to get her!

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM
I would do this. Get her one electronic on her list. Not only are those items expensive, but electronics tend to take away from other activities like studying, homework and getting proper exercise. I know of alot of parents who struggle with kids being parked infront of the videogames/computer.

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

I would get maybe one large gift that's on her list but that's it and stick with more child toys or craft kits.  I loved jewelry making kits and such when I was a kid. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieJo81
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM

My kids get one big gift and several smaller ones. Right now my older kids are the only ones who are wanting things more technological. Just do what's within your budget, that you won't be mad if she destroys since she is after all a kid.

ScarlettP
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Thanks everyone!

Char.965
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I see absolutly nothing wrong with getting her something like that. There are things like snap circuts that should be age appropriate. My son got one for Christmas last year when he was 7 and he loves it! Wants something like that again this year.

You never know, you may be helping her to become an electircal engineer or something like that when she gets older. Some kids just aren't kids. Both of my daughters hated dolls. I got them for them anyway and they never played with them. They always wanted to help dad build computers or things. That is what they do. I even have one daughter who wrestles. Let them decide what they like. You'll only be wasting money if you get them things that they really don't want. They will just be pushed aside for the things they like the most.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)