Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Extended family and holidays...

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM
  • 2 Replies

How do u do it?? We have 3 kids, and my parents are the only ones we're going to see this holiday season since his family is going on a cruise.. Luckies.. But my parents want me to make an effort to see both sides.. My mom's and dad's side.. But we also have our own plans for our christmas with the kids, and hubby's brother who has a little boy of his own when he's off work. My mom's side is easy bc they have christmas eve and live in the same town as my mom so we can make it an overnight thing.. But my dad's side lives further away and they don't do the holiday at the same time bc ppl have to be off work.. ALSO there's the gifts.. Idk how we are going to afford gifts for everybody we're supposed to buy for on my mom's side bc we're buying our christmas too.. Should I bother worrying about extended family or no??

by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ShannaBee
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM
We do not buy gifts for extended family. People need to understand that others cannot afford to buy every person a gift. I would briefly visit your dad's side of the family, maybe have a meal. Give out cards instead of presents. Holidays are stressful trying to squeeze time with everybody so go in with a gameplan. Plan how long you're going to visit, what you're going to do there, and who you're willing to travel to see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieJo81
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I would make plans to see your extended family based on what amount of time you and your SO want to spend that far away from home. If there are certain people you want to see while you're there, let them know a head of time when and for how long you are going to be in town so that they can make arrangments to see you. I wouldn't worry about gifts for extended family. They will understand you can't afford to give gifts to everyone.

For instance, my mom and her siblings live 3 hours from me. I have a family with 5 kids. I don't expect her siblings or my cousins to get my children or me anything. I try to let them know in advance when I'm planning on coming up so that I may see as many of my family as possible but I don't expect to be able to see them all. I relish in their company when I get to visit and we take the time to catch up along with them seeing how big the kids are getting.

Hope you have a great holiday season!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN