Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sacrificing

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
My DH and I are about to head into financial hard times because his job lost their contract and they have no work lined up until next year. What would you sacrifice? Being around the holidays, would you sacrifice Christmas so you can make your bills?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LatashaNicole
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I would cut some bills down such as cable,internet  using alot less lights, water, heat u can always bundle everybody up in thermals,layers of clothes,sweaters if it came down 2 the heat being cut down. I would not necessary say skip x-mas but I go on a budget and gift count for whoever i am buying for.I am quite sure you all can go a few months without the cable&internet especailly a time like this.

hilesmom
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I would NOT sacrifice Christmas... I would give up cable, cell phones, and maybe make some calls to the people you owe bills to to arrange a payment schedule. Christmas is just too special and memorable to miss. You would regret it, I think... I know I would. Do you have anything in the house that you can sell and that you would not miss? Maybe you could give up the internet until you can get caught up. When my husband and I are having hard times, we just scrimp and scrape and do the best we can to get through. Do you have kids? If there are kids involved, most definately find a way to give them a Christmas. Good luck!

MommyLowry
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM

We are already sacrificing Christmas for the most part. All next month I'll be teaching the kids about the true meaning of Christmas... spending time on art projects & learning. That will mostly be our Christmas.

kybella
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I would't completely cut out Christmas, but I'd budget real hard to give everyone something (mainly our kids).  And it wouldn't be something extravagant.  I'd also start seeing where I can make cuts to save money.

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Well, my mom will be paying my phone so I can have service just incase I am alone when I go into labor. I steal WiFi from my grandma who lives next door so I don't have an internet bill.

We are trying to cut down on the bills. But we will be stretched so thin because he won't have a paycheck for a month.

jazi1105
by Jazi :) on Nov. 30, 2010 at 6:31 PM

That's a tough one--I think that maybe keep Christmas stuff at a minimum...ya know? Sacrifice going all out and make sure that the important things get paid...it's tough, trust me-I know, but it's do-able!

luvhubandbabys
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Do xmas but do one gift a piece for kids only. in my house... i got each my girls a doll a book and they r sharing small ball pit. things r tight so we cut back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenbscott
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM

We have already been sacrificing since May of this year(when dh lost his job). Miraculously, we've been making by anyway. With bills on top of bills and four kids, the only way we made it was through prayer! Dh is still looking for work but has been collecting unemployment( which isn't even enough to cover our rent).

We gave up cable, internet(the only reason I'm able to log on is because our leasing office has a strong router and I'm able to pick up signal), eating out, etc. We even had to stop paying on some of our credit card bill(only because it was either pay that or eat).

We're still able to pay our rent, light bill, car note and insurance, cell bill(payed by my mom). I applied for food stamps last month because it has gotten a little rough and it has been such a HUGE blessing. I don't know how we would have made it without that. Hopefully, dh will find work soon and I'll be able to take us off of assistance.

This christmas, there isn't really a sacrifice unless you call gift giving a sacrifice. It's really important that my children learn the real meaning of giving someone a gift. They love digging through their toys to give to other children who have less than them. We did it for the first time last year, and they are so excited to do it again this year. I don't expect them to go through this year without presents though. I mean, they are after all still kids. They'll be getting plenty of stuff from my mom and other family and those will go under our tree =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)