Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Empty Nest

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM
  • 6 Replies

Did your relationship become better or worse when the youngest child moved out of the home? My baby brother moved out of my mom's house today. The last of four kids to leave home. Any advise for a new empty nester? 

by on Dec. 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Honeybun09
by on Dec. 15, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Sorry my oldest is only 21 months and my youngest is still in the womb so no experience here. Here's a bump.

Pregnancy Ticker

KatieJo81
by on Dec. 16, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Quoting Honeybun09:

Sorry my oldest is only 21 months and my youngest is still in the womb so no experience here. Here's a bump.

LOL Thanks simple smile

BJBoltFan
by on Dec. 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

My husband and I are just starting to deal with this now.  Our oldest is 20 next month, and has her own apartment here in town.  Our son is 17 next month and a Jr in high school.  As he has become more independent and spent more time away from home my relationship with my husband has changed, some better some worse.  It is great to be able to jump on the motorcycles and go for a ride at the spur of the moment, or go out to a nice quiet dinner just the two of us more often.  Those things are great.  The problem we are facing is that I am freaking out a little and missing having younger kids in the house.  I think if I could I would get pregnant in a second and be thrilled.  My husband however has no interest at all in having more kids.  He doesn't seem to miss the kids being around more at all, which sometimes makes me mad/sad. 

My suggestion for empty nesters would be to take up some hobby or interest that they always wanted to but didn't have the time or money for before.  Renew some of the interested that maybe you had before kids took up all of your time.  Join a group at church, or volunteer or something.  We're finding that the kids still need us, just not all the time, so we have more time to do the things that make us US instead of just MOM and DAD.

KatieJo81
by on Dec. 16, 2010 at 3:35 PM
I'll have to pass that along to my mom. This is her second marriage so she and my stepdad have never had a time in their relationship when they didn't have kids around. Its completely new territory for them. Although they are loving being grandparents now and I think that might take some of their attention during this transition. Thank you for your reply.

Quoting BJBoltFan:

My husband and I are just starting to deal with this now.  Our oldest is 20 next month, and has her own apartment here in town.  Our son is 17 next month and a Jr in high school.  As he has become more independent and spent more time away from home my relationship with my husband has changed, some better some worse.  It is great to be able to jump on the motorcycles and go for a ride at the spur of the moment, or go out to a nice quiet dinner just the two of us more often.  Those things are great.  The problem we are facing is that I am freaking out a little and missing having younger kids in the house.  I think if I could I would get pregnant in a second and be thrilled.  My husband however has no interest at all in having more kids.  He doesn't seem to miss the kids being around more at all, which sometimes makes me mad/sad. 

My suggestion for empty nesters would be to take up some hobby or interest that they always wanted to but didn't have the time or money for before.  Renew some of the interested that maybe you had before kids took up all of your time.  Join a group at church, or volunteer or something.  We're finding that the kids still need us, just not all the time, so we have more time to do the things that make us US instead of just MOM and DAD.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3angela
by on Dec. 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Only my oldest has moved out...my younger two are 8 and 6.  Our relationship is even better.

BJBoltFan
by on Dec. 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Oh KatieJo, I can't wait to have grandkids.  I think that will be the best time ever, when we have little kids around to spoil but also have free time for ourselves.  The best of both worlds. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)