Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

I am religious, and my Dh isn't.

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM
  • 35 Replies

But we make it work, we are very respectful of each other's views. Anyone else in my shoes?

by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyMother88
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

that.cassie
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

me!

Momma_Halo
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I agree. I am a spiritualist and hubby is well agnostic. But with respect for one another we make it work. 

Des10ed2b
by Member on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

yep. My husband and his family are all catholic. I am far from it. I believe in god and i believe that jesus existed and was a great man, but i dont believe in heaven, hell, son of god and everything like that. However, i am also totally willing to admit i could very well be completely wrong. I dont intrude upon him, i respect his nightly prayers and i bow my head with the rest of the family at family meals when they do prayer, i allow my children to attend church if a family member asks, but i do not send them myself. i want my kids to be educated on many religions and make the choice what feels "right" for them. If they choose to be catholic, more power to them! My husband also has the same respect for me. We meet in the middle. We got married in a non-denominational church instead of a catholic. He does not force me to pray and also does not force it upon the kids.

i am a proud mommy of one very ornery 2 year old little boy and one very goofy 5 year old little girl, ive been married for 3 years, together for 5 1/2. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative, different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com   

that.cassie
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I'm Christian and DH grew up Christian but easily wandered away from believing in anything. Sometimes our conversations prove that he has more faith than he lets on.

But there is not much chance he would go to church with me.

LovelyMother88
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Yep, sounds like my husband and I. He varies really, like one year he believes in God but nothing else, then other years he has no Faith whatsoever. And he has a big issue with the Bible. He has a very logical and scientific mind...so I can see how he would be confused about what he believes.

Quoting that.cassie:

I'm Christian and DH grew up Christian but easily wandered away from believing in anything. Sometimes our conversations prove that he has more faith than he lets on.

possummom
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

my dh is more religious than i am. i personally am not. but at long as the respect from both of you is there....you will be okay.

that.cassie
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Quoting LovelyMother88:

Yep, sounds like my husband and I. He varies really, like one year he believes in God but nothing else, then other years he has no Faith whatsoever. And he has a big issue with the Bible. He has a very logical and scientific mind...so I can see how he would be confused about what he believes.

Quoting that.cassie:

Oh I often wonder what it would be like if we both agreed on the same exact beliefs. Sounds peachy but I honestly enjoy the way things are. It reminds me of my grandparents.

HollyBerry727
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

My Sister is Christian, and her husband is Agnostic. They seem to be making it work pretty well. 

My husband and I are both Agnostic, so we pretty much agree on the same things.

Momma_Halo
by on Dec. 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Same with my husband. He is the more logical side of our marriage and even though I prove I have a highly logical mind. I am the meditating, yoga doing, doing spells in my kitchen wife. Yet I still find time to pick up news about a new science project, I like reading up on quantum physics, and I love reading up on herbal healing. 

My husband finds me to be a strange person. One minute I have a book on Reiki and Zen and then the next science books. He likes to pester me while I am meditating.

"How do you know this works?"

Me, "Faith."

Him, "How do you know you have faith."

And then it goes on and on for hours. 

But the key is respect and be careful of what you say. Simple things that many people over look in their marriage. They think they are helping when really they are being insensitive and pushing something obviously they don't want to change about themselves. 

Quoting LovelyMother88:

Quoting that.cassie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN