Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holiday Depression

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM
  • 12 Replies
do you or your so/dh go thru holiday depression?
Due to family? Financies? Kids? Work?
by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Neverstops
by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM

I kinda got depressed when we opened gifts cause I have been dropping not so subtle hints about what I wanted from Santa this year and I didn't get it.  I'm a really big GLEE fan, I know, kinda dorky, but I wanted to get Season 1 on DVD and/or GLEE Karaoke for the Wii and I got like 5 shirts and a book.  Don't get me wrong, I love what I got and the fact my husband took our 4 year shopping and he picked them out, but I was really hoping for some GLEE stuff. 

Watching my kids open their gifts and their faces lighting up was worth it though.  I guess I'll wait and drop more bigger hints around our anniversary in April or my birthday in August. lol

MrsTantaros
by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM

We dont get depressed, bummed maybe. But we always try to make the best out of the situation. :) We couldn't afford many gifts, so the whole family got together and made cookies.

amylou7747
by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Yes I do . this yr wasnt my familes  year . Well take that back half and half . Almost a yr ago hubby lost his  job . He had a really good job so the HUGE pay cut  wasnt something  we were used to . The good part about that situation is I  got the currage and went to school and Im in the process of Externing and  about to Graduate.  This Christmas wasnt  a very good one  though due to money reasons . Thank God I had family that helped us out with  my boys but it just wasnt the same . Hubby and I didnt get  each other anything but that was ok cause as long as i got my kids   I was ok . We also didnt put  everything up for  decorating and Im a huge holiday buff. Im praying that once Im done Externing I get hired  and can help support my family . Also praying  these job leads help my hubby with a job as well .

jenbscott
by on Dec. 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM

us too. Not depressed, just bummed that we could not afford gifts. also, family did not care if we showed up or not .

Quoting MrsTantaros:

We dont get depressed, bummed maybe. But we always try to make the best out of the situation. :) We couldn't afford many gifts, so the whole family got together and made cookies.

sew4fun
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Yes we both get depressed and it is mainly due to our families.... Sometimes it is about money too.

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Dec. 26, 2010 at 5:42 AM

I never have until this year. This is our first PCS(we moved to Japan Nov. 17th)...And I'm pregnant and worrying about my family's health so I already had a lot of things on my plate to make me depressed. I just want to go back home, visit my family, and go shopping at Walmart lol. Maybe it's not really holiday depression but homesickness..All I know is this holiday season has been so depressing for me not being able to be with my family. I don't think DH has ever really had this problem.

jbjb1024
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM
I get depressed, I don't think dh does though. I get depressed becuase I am from michigan and haven't been home in 3 years and nor have I had christmas at home since I lived in michigan. I am used to traditions on the holidays and living in missouri with my hubby, there is no tradition. His mom never knows what/when she is doing dinner until a week before christmas. It drives me crazy. It is like this with every holiday and I'm just not used to it. As far as money goes, that is sorta an issues with us but not so much right now. My dh just got a new job from being laid off for a year and a half, and I just got a better from making a lot more money with better benefits. Another reason I get so depressed at the holidays is because me and dh are still ttc and have been for 3 years now. My BIL came over on christmas with his new baby (2 months old) and it is so hard to watch them be so happy with a baby when I feel like it is never going to happen. Wow, I am so glad u asked tis question, I feel a little better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamami05
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:12 AM
Ya we had no money to buy eachother gifts. Then my best friend called me bragging about a keurig. Something I'm dying to have. My mom gave me socks. Merry christmas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM
Not really but I felt depressed at having to go to my inlaws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReaderVictoria
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I usually get depressed around November to February but this year, I am manic for a change.  A little bummed 'cause I love to shop for my sons (even though they are grown) and I didn't get started early enough to really shop for them.  Luckily, they are good people and loved what I did get for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)