Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Moving in with the inlaws (sorry kinda long)

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 6:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

So my DHs dad just had a hip taken out, he wont get it put back in for a few months. he has a plastic on in that helps him move but he cant put weight on it. My MI works all day so she wont be able tot take care of him, so it looks like we're going to move in to take care of them. Thew basement here has a living room a bedroom and a full bathroom with a shower and tub and everything. Both of my inlaws have cancer, and both have a tough time getting around, so my husband wants ot move in. I think its a farely good idea, i mean we would have like our own apartment downstairs. It'll be really nice, we can put most of our stuff in storage and i think we can make it look really nice and not cluttered like our house is now. Plus Hollyanna will have a beautiful yard to play in and have her grandparents there. Plus my husband fractured his back last yr at work, and the dr told him that he shouldnt go back to work this yr (hes a firefighter) because it could make it so much worse, he already has to have surgury. I'm just hopign it doesnt turn into a disaster moving in here. ugh so many changes in such a short period of time.

how many of you live with your inlaws or parents, and how is it?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wife to an amazing husband since 10/31/08.Mommy to a beautiful baby girl since 11/24/10.Breastfeeding,cosleeping,SAHM,who thinks her life is the best,and her husband and daughter mean everything to her. My name is Fawn,and this is who i am.
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mel822
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 6:21 AM

I don't live with them now.We did have to move in with my parents for a little bit awhile ago.It had it's ups and downs.I think our biggest problem is my mom and I are so much alike that we get on each others nerves real quick.LOL.Seriously though,you do what's best for you guys.Make sure you take time with just your family.

jbjb1024
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM
I'm sure will be tough in the beginning trying to adjust to living with so many people, but try to stay positive and know that u are helping his parents out tremendously, if not for u, they may be in a nursing home!! Good luck, and I hope everything works out. I hope for a speedy recovery for ur FIL and hubby. Also, I hope your MIL can beat the cancer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM
I don't live with my inlaws and I never will. But it seems like you have a good relationship with yours. I hope their health improves and you find a peaceful decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WolfMotherof4
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I like with my in laws for the same reason! My MIL has cancer and my FIL is on full term disability for his back. I, however, have 4 children ;) ............. it does have its ups and downs but its great! My MIL and I don't have that great of a relationship but we deal with each other to make things better!

NevadaSky
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Lived w/the IL's for far too long.  They would have lost their home without us there.  Over the years they became very ungrateful and bitter. We've moved on and no longer speak to them.

Just found out also that they are about to lose their home and sadly DH and I don't care.

jenbscott
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM
We lived with my mom for a while and it was not too bad. We also lived with my mil for a little bit and she was so controlling and always overstepped her boundries.

I hope it works out for you! Your situation seems different then ours was anyways. My mil was like that because we needed her and she thought she had the right to tell us what to do.

That's great btw how you're willing to help out like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommiecassie
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM

We didn't live in the same house as my in-laws but we did live on the same property.  They have several acres and 2 houses.  The only reason we moved onto their property was because my husband worked in the oilfield and went through 2 layoffs in 6 months.  We were there for 4 months and that was the longest 4 months of our lives!  LOL  Luckily, my hubby was able to find a good paying job outside of the oil field and we were able to get back on our feet.  I love my in-laws, but they seemed to think that we were 16 and they needed to know where we were at all times.  The big problem was them trying to take over and raise our kids.  They don't agree with the fact that we make our children mind.  They think they should be given free reign and that we should let them do whatever.  Like I said, it was the longest 4 months of our lives!

dove7
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM

i could never life with my in-laws ,, she don't like me..

Sam.Marie
by on Dec. 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I had to live with my inlaws for 3 1/2 months while we were getting our house ready and whatnot. It was tense.... it wasnt a good situation for any of us. My fil was getting mad that I wasnt going and working on the house (it needed paint, the floors needed sanding, it needed a kitchen) but my son was just born when we moved in with them and we only had one car and hubby needed that to go to work. It was an interesting time and I hope to never have to do that again.

It might be different for you though seeing as your inlaws need the help. Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)