Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

stay married or get a divorce?????

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

how does one truly know when to get a divorce?

by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WolfMotherof4
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:06 AM

I don't think so!! I've thought the same thing with my marriage. Tryin to live one day at a time! 

LO2inVE
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:41 AM
You'll know When you tried just about everything to make your marriage work and its just not getting any better and there are no changes being made between the two. I would say don't consider a divorce until you have both tried going to marriage counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsNewman
by Member on Jan. 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM

i'v you'v tried everything and still can't seem to make it work. 

BiloxiDreams
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM

We've considered it twice but in the end we don't believe in divorce unless there is abuse.  I am SO glad we stuck to our beliefs because I have an amazing marriage now!

chaosiskey
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

i think that if it becomes too much work to make each other happy then  maybe its beyond repair...

wisegal
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM

BUMP!

SlightlyPerfect
Merry Giftmas!
35 minutes ago
by Slightly Perfect on Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I think it's a gut thing. Some people knew going into a marriage it just wasn't going to work, but they were in denial. Others don't see it coming.  Others stay in a loveless marriage for their kids. You just have to do what you feel is best for you.

SlightlyPerfect
Merry Giftmas!
35 minutes ago
by Slightly Perfect on Jan. 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM

That's a good point. I think you have to know your core values and what your boundaries are. Abuse and infidelity are mine, but even so, I think there's wiggle room, depending on how each term is defined.

Quoting BiloxiDreams:

We've considered it twice but in the end we don't believe in divorce unless there is abuse.  I am SO glad we stuck to our beliefs because I have an amazing marriage now!

-mrs.mamma-
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I would never even consider divorce unless there was abuse/cheating invovled and/or I felt I had completely exhausted all of my efforts to help my marriage. cause you can't make a marriage work on your own..yes, sometimes I believe we have to carry each other sometimes...but when you're completely on your own..and the other party has almost checked out on you already..it's a lost cause.

until then...try. you get out of a marriage what you put into it. try everything under the sun before you give up.

good luck to you, hun.

CrunchyCarol
by on Jan. 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

This is how I feel, too. I've considered divorce a couple of times in the last few years. We're working our asses off to get to a better place. Once I knew I could live either way, I put everything on the table for him over lunch one day just over a year ago & left it up to him. I was actually surprised to see he was surprised that I was ready to leave (men really are so unperceptive). After that I told him, okay, if you want to stay and make this work, then this is what I need from you... Then I asked him to think about what he wanted me to change, too. I think, for him, knowing I didn't expect all the changing to come from him helped some. I've been careful to keep my emotions in check while discussing things with him (no yelling matches). It's still a work in progress, but at least we're moving now and not sitting stagnant. I really felt like I was going to shrivel up and die of lonliness when we had that first big talk.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

That's a good point. I think you have to know your core values and what your boundaries are. Abuse and infidelity are mine, but even so, I think there's wiggle room, depending on how each term is defined.

Quoting BiloxiDreams:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN