Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Husbands With an Addiction?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

I want to start by saying I love my husband with all my heart. And there is nothing I wouldn't do for him. I said "I Do" for better or worse. So, it's my job to stick by my husband and help him through his addiction, instead of running away.

My husband has a bad addiction to World of Warcraft. It started this last summer. It has nearly obliterated our family. I have started a group (F.A.W.O.W. Families Against World of Warcarft) to help others going through the same issues.

It is not easy, just like any addiction. He is going through separation anxiety right now. This is going to be a long hard process to help him get over it.

Do any of you have husbands with an addiction? If so, I just want to let you know I know how hard it is, and if you have any questions or need some support, I am here!

by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM

My hubby tends to drink too much thankfully its just during the holidays most of the time its just a beer or two. He loves his PS games but him and DS spend most weekends playing together

wish2bmommy
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

i'm joining that group my husband is the same way the world of warcraft

AirForceWife109
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM

wow take his remote control away! seriousely tell him its you or the game maybe that will open up his eyes

PhotoMama88
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Really? Hubby & I LOVE that game ;) We play it together alot lol I never could understand how a game can take Is it they just can NOT stop playing?? Whyy?? Just curious, hugs!!

MrsTantaros
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

There has been many documentaries about the game. (youtube has a bunch of videos) There are a lot of people who have control over the game. (my godmother being one) But there are so many more people who dont. I have not a clue myself as to why or how this happens. but its a sad fact.

Quoting PhotoMama88:

Really? Hubby & I LOVE that game ;) We play it together alot lol I never could understand how a game can take Is it they just can NOT stop playing?? Whyy?? Just curious, hugs!!

PhotoMama88
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Sad. I would just lock up the game til he gains some control. Does he stop to eat? He plays sooo much that you guys dont spend time together?

Quoting MrsTantaros:

There has been many documentaries about the game. (youtube has a bunch of videos) There are a lot of people who have control over the game. (my godmother being one) But there are so many more people who dont. I have not a clue myself as to why or how this happens. but its a sad fact.

Quoting PhotoMama88:

MrsTantaros
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM

He would eat while playing the game. And there was no time spent together. We have gone through so much already. The bills are in his name, so I cant disconnect the Internet. BUT with progress, we finally got to the point where he deleted his game. Right now he is having issues because he misses it. (just like any addiction) I'm working with him...its hard for someone to get over an addiction alone.

Quoting PhotoMama88:

Sad. I would just lock up the game til he gains some control. Does he stop to eat? He plays sooo much that you guys dont spend time together?

Quoting MrsTantaros:

Quoting PhotoMama88:

PhotoMama88
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Im glad he's getting over it! Its an awesome game but I would get bored if I played it non-stop lol

Quoting MrsTantaros:

He would eat while playing the game. And there was no time spent together. We have gone through so much already. The bills are in his name, so I cant disconnect the Internet. BUT with progress, we finally got to the point where he deleted his game. Right now he is having issues because he misses it. (just like any addiction) I'm working with him...its hard for someone to get over an addiction alone.

Quoting PhotoMama88:

Quoting MrsTantaros:

Quoting PhotoMama88:

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Cigarettes. I wish he'd stop smoking. We made a pact years ago if I got pregnant we'd both stop. I upheld my end but with DD due anytime, he has yet to quit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyMother88
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM

LOL my hubby was addicted to WOW too. I hated it. It was really bad for a while. He would stay up until 5am playing that stupid game, then go to bed and sleep until noon, only to go to work at 2pm. And I swear, he was completely deaf while playing that game. I could say ANYTHING and he wouldn't hear me. One time I said, "Babe, there is a porcupine throwing nickles at me, and now he's headed for the pennies..." he just said "mm hmm." GRRRRR.

So one day to get his attention I threw a ball at his head. (it still took a couple of seconds for him to turn around, lol) I told him to delete his account and get rid of the game, or I was leaving. He did for a year. He just started playing again recently, but he only plays every once in a while. And I reserve the right to tell him to stop at any time. I never thought a silly game would be one of the biggest hurdles in our marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)