Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Husbands With an Addiction?

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to start by saying I love my husband with all my heart. And there is nothing I wouldn't do for him. I said "I Do" for better or worse. So, it's my job to stick by my husband and help him through his addiction, instead of running away.

My husband has a bad addiction to World of Warcraft. It started this last summer. It has nearly obliterated our family. I have started a group (F.A.W.O.W. Families Against World of Warcarft) to help others going through the same issues.

It is not easy, just like any addiction. He is going through separation anxiety right now. This is going to be a long hard process to help him get over it.

Do any of you have husbands with an addiction? If so, I just want to let you know I know how hard it is, and if you have any questions or need some support, I am here!

by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-18):
tnbjbeams444
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Maybe coffee, but thats it. He doesnt play games at all.

Mikeybsmom2006
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM
my dh is a recovering alcoholic, i'm very proud oh him. He has now substatuted icepops for the alcohol. I'll take it!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM

wow I can believe that. My hubby, before we were married we were living together and had many arguments about his gaming habits. He would play for hours and hours and I couldn't watch tv or talk to him or anything....I came second. He was baffled by how I couldn't take him playing his game as much as he did....well with much communication, he finally started to get the picture. Now he plays his games, but he does it in moderation and I can actually get him to pull away from it if needed. He has really progressed...though I don't think he was addicted to it. I think it was an outlet for him to blow off some steam.

manifer_momma
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Mine drinks heavily on holidays. he has cut down alot, he used to get drunk every weekend. Lityle by little he's gaining control and Im so proud of him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Jan. 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM
My husbands addicted also to WOW and also to smoking. We currently do not live together for another 2 months but he is playing it a lot more now that we aren't around all the time. And smoking he keeps telling me he will stop smoking. He said when our first son was born he'd stop. That is 2 years ago as of 2/2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMRagan
by on Jan. 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Dh is addicted to our 4 dogs. During hunting season he is going 1-3 weekends a month. When not in season, we are up at our friends place training basically every Sunday, about once a month we camp up there for usually 3 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gussysmom
by on Jan. 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I personally play WoW, and it is a very difficult thing not to get sucked in.

My finace is addicted to games in general. He ignores everything sometimes while he is playing his games.

The best thing to do is 1, tell him you need his help with the house or kids, 2, ask him if he could wait till the kids are in bed to play maybe an hour at a time. 3 DO NOT MAKE HIM QUIT ALL TOGETHER!!!!! If this is something he enjoys and you take it away, or say things like its me or the game, he is going to hurt your feelings about it in one way or another, plus he will be miserable.

Ya know, it wouldn't hurt you to start playing too...if you have time. I mean I totally understand that you want other things to do together besides lvling up, but it brings pretty interesting conversation to the relationship....I did this, and he doesn't play WoW nearly as much!

bluestarr80
by on Jan. 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Sounds like if you took the game away, he would find something else to be addicted to. Getting rid of the game is not the end....he may very likely need counseling and some 12 step help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)