Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

anniversary-help......

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM
  • 45 Replies

feeling a little sad lately. a big anniversary for us is coming up in a few weeks.  we really can't afford to do/get what i had hopped. Life has changed so much since a few years ago.  we will be going out to dinner:) but I told my husband we shouldn't do gifts. i was gettingSO depressed about it though. he realized that and told me he already got me something and planned on giving me something anyway and that he doesn't need/want anything (he really means that by the way) i just don't know what to do. money has been SO tight worse than ever before, living pay check to pay check. our friends and family have no idea how difficult our situation is right now.  i'm in middle of knitting something but its taking forever.  maybe I can tell him i have something, but he will need to wait a bit longer bfor it??? what should I do? what should i get? with money we don't even have?  I think our whole financial situation has just got me down. i try so hard not to have any expectations anymore b/c i don't deal too well with disappointment.  sorry for rambling and thanks for giving me a place to vent.  any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Miss.Lique
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Well I think that since you have been together for a while maybe you can make him a special dinner. Something like the first thing you made him after you got married. Or maybe make little coupons like for a back massage or some thing like that. You must be a great wife if your more worried about making him happy than yourself. I hope I helped a little bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
youngmama18
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

i have an idea . you are kittning him something . take some paper and make him a cirtificate for what ever you are kitting him and give that to him and tell him that when you are done with his preasent he will need to turn in the cirftificate for it .

SheilaDuncan
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

You shouldnt feel bad if you cant buy him anything..anniversaries aren't supposed to be about gifts anyway, all you have to do is show him how much you love him and he will be fine. My husband and I have only been able to really celebrate once out of our five years of marriage and every year we say next year this or next year that, but when it comes down to it, we cant. so I cook a nice dinner, candelight, put the kids to be early and we dance and celebrate at home as if we were out, its very intimate and special..he has never asked for a gift and neither have I. 

JesusRocks283
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM
I would just knit him what you are u could make a card my dh loves homemade cards I am sure whatever it is he will love it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambulancemommy
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:55 AM
(((HUGS)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

*hugs* Our anniversary this year was tough too. I think that it's not about the gifts, it's about the time you spend together.

sew4fun
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM

First try  not to be down about money, I know it is hard but really money is not everything ( it is just really nice and does make somethings easier) Try listening to and looking on line for Dave Ramsey stuff ( he has really helped us! ) .... Ok now on to the fun stuff. Take a close up picture of what you have so far on your knitting project but take it so close that he can not really tell what it is and include a homemade gift card good for one "surprise makde with love and care for the man of my life that I love so much) You can also take a nice picture of yourself,make some "Love coupons" , and make a nice dinner, even if you do not have the money to buy special groceries you can still set the table nice and light some candles, play some light music and include a dessert. I am sure what ever you do he will love !

CameronsMommy23
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Maybe you could find a cute pic of you & him & put it in a cheap but nice frame & give that to him! My DH loves pics of us so I've given him nice frames for his desk at work. It's not about gifts anyway so anything you do for him will be perfect!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MagadoodlesMom
by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I think lots of families have been hit hard over the last couple of years with the economy the way it is ... I know we have ourselves... You make the most of whatcha go... self made cards, quality time together, going out to eat with just the two of you and doing special things for one another...  making his favorite sweet dish, cooking his favorite meal or just creating a "special" night at home can make them happy... Sure its not what you ideally would like to do ... but lets face it not many of us have "ideal" circumstances in today's world... just make the best of whatcha go... that's the best thing I can say... good luck

MomToovey
by Marianne on Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM

I certainly understand how disappointing it is to want to give him the world, but not have the means with which to do it. I know you're knitting something for him, which I think is wonderful! Is there something else you can make for him that you can be sure will be finished in time? It doesn't even need to be big. Maybe write a poem for him and decorate it? I know it sounds a bit kindergarten, but stuff like that (stuff from the heart) is always a greater treasure than something that costs a lot.

Congratulations on your anniversary!! And remember, the important thing is that you have each other!

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN