Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Money saving tips ?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM
  • 7 Replies

Money can cause many problems in marriage so I thought I would start a post on wise money management/ money saving tips. Share things you do to help save money or be responsible with money.

We shop at Aldi ( wich saves on average $60-$100 a trip vs going to Walmart or Brookshires)

I make most of my girls clothes and bows unless they are cheaper to buy than to make

I am working on making all my clothes as well

We shop at thrift stores and  I try to shop on quater day first then search the $1 room first.

I make soap  and am looking into making as much of our personal hygenine and household products as possible

We do not eat out unless it is a very special occasion then we use coupons or look for specials

by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sew4fun
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Oh I also cloth diaper

SlightlyPerfect
by Slightly Perfect on Jan. 19, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Do you think Aldi is really more cost-effective than other stores? I find with coupons and bargain hunting, I save way more than if I shop at Aldi. Now, I do save more at Aldi on things like frozen foods, and I really like their selection, which is way different than chain grocery stores, and I guess their produce is a bit cheaper, but otherwise, I don't really notice that much of a difference in cost.

Psalm127.3
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I have a ton of these. I'm a major bargain hunter.

1) Yard Sales. Most of our entire wardrobe consists of name brand clothes that were purchased at yard sales for no more than a dollar a piece... all in good condition, too.

2) DealNews.com. I use this website all the time. I check daily for coupons and deals. This website collects deals from all over the internet so it's all in one place and categorized. I've eaten out for free many times thanks to this website!

3) Now that we've gotten settled in our new home, I've started cooking instead of eating out.  I plan weekly meal menus and make sure not to waste anything.  We do left overs alot, but normally change it up. Like, if we have chili one night, we'll add fritos and cheese and make frito chili pie the next night. If we cook spaghetti, I'll have spaghetti sandwiches the next day. Yes, spaghetti sandwiches. I love them :)

4) I have a Sam's Club membership that helps out a lot.  You can have two people on an account, so if you can't afford it, see if you can find someone else to go in half with you and you will each get a card. Some stuff is cheaper at other stores, but you can check their prices online and know where to get what. Like I know to get hot dogs at Sam's Club because I can get 30 for the same price of what I'd pay at WalMart for 8.

5) RetailMeNot.com.  This website is good if you eat out a lot or do a lot of shopping. You can type in the name of any restaurant or store and if there's any coupons or coupon codes, they'll show up!

6) FreeCycle. If you have a yahoo email address, you can join a group called FreeCycle. They have a group for almost every city and people post stuff they need or stuff they want to get rid of. We've given away some really big stuff on there and we've also received a lot of nice stuff... and it's ALL free.

That's all I can come up with for now. Hope that helps :)

shorty_girl330
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 8:09 PM
my babe tells me to save money i need not to leave the house lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazi1105
by Jazi :) on Jan. 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

i use coupons...I also try to avoid brand bullying(I'll get the generic brands as long as their cheaper and the same quality--except diapers bc huggies are the only brand that don't destroy her butt cheeks lol)

sew4fun
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Yes in my area it is more cost effective. even with sales and coupons I still save more at Aldi on most things.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Do you think Aldi is really more cost-effective than other stores? I find with coupons and bargain hunting, I save way more than if I shop at Aldi. Now, I do save more at Aldi on things like frozen foods, and I really like their selection, which is way different than chain grocery stores, and I guess their produce is a bit cheaper, but otherwise, I don't really notice that much of a difference in cost.

mommiecassie
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM

The two big things that we do is clip coupons, and when we enter stuff into our checking account (we run our register in Quicken) we round up to the nearest dollar.  So if we spend $25.25 at the store we enter it into our account as 26.00.  We end up saving apx. $20-25 a month doing this.  All of this "extra" money is "kept" in the "back" of our account.  It's really nice to have a little bit of a cushion.  And, by December we have a good chunk of money to buy our girls Christmas presents with...on top of what we've already budgeted for.   Oh, I guess that's the other thing we have...a BUDGET!  We used to laugh at people who had a budget, but let me tell you it works great.  We've had a lot of success using one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN