Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

S/O of Homeschooling Post

SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Today at 9:03 AM
Posted by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

There is a post on homeschooling, and it got me wondering...

For all those who homeschool:

• Why did you choose to?
  • How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)?
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)?
  • Are there private-school options in your area?
  • Are you certified to teach?
  • Do you have any education experience?
  • What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against?
  • Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively?

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I homeschool, my husband is on board. We just knew it was the best way for our kids. I think the biggest mis conception is that they don't socialize.

2milesboys
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM

i dont homeschool but i was for awhile homeschool myself. it just wasnt a right fit for me personally i craved being in a classroom. but momaof8 is right i did socialize there was a meeting weekly for all homeschooled children were we met up and hung out. i had other friends too. i will not homeschool my children but thats my personal choice

BiloxiDreams
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I decided to homeschool for many reasons.  I felt that God led my family to this and if I were to list every single reason we do it I'd be here forever.  I should mention though that my husband was not on board until our 5 year old was getting picked on by a bully at school.  A kindergartner should not have to deal with that.

I think my kids are pretty smart but I don't know if they're gifted.  They're in kinder and pre-k right now and absolutely breezing through the work.  They are not special needs.

I live on a military installation so we have DoD schools for the kids.  In fact, the elementary school is practically in my back yard.  DoD schools tend to be very good schools.

There are private schools and we can afford it but it's not what we wanted.

I am not certified to teach.  In fact, I don't have a college degree.  I joined the military out of highschool and left the military to be a SAHM.

The only experience I have with teaching is being a teachers assitant in a special needs class.  Of course I have been teaching my children since they were born!

The biggest stereotype is that homeschool kids don't develop socially and that's not the case.  We go to so many play groups and are members of several homeschool groups and because we have extra time we can volunteer around the community so my children meet new people everyday rather than the same 30 kids everyday.

Homeschooling has not changed my relationship with my husband at all.  He was slow to get on board but he fully supports it and is always asking the kids what they learned and looking at their work and praising and encouraging us all.  He loves to brag to others that we homeschool.

in loveSam & Jen  ice creamBrandon baseballJacob baby giftElizabeth

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I don't home school but thinking about doing it. I think some kids do better with individual plans that a parent could give. I have a degree to teach pre school but nothing more than that. We are trying to decide what is best for them. My DH is not on board yet with it which he may never. But with my youngest he may need the home schooling enviorment depending on his needs when he's older.

EireLass
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM

• Why did you choose to? I was not ready to throw them into a crowd of kids for learning.
  •  How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)? They are both extremely intelligent...I've never used or heard them described as gifted. 
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)? No idea....we live in MA.

Are there private-school options in your area? Yes. I homeschooled through 5th, then they went to 1 year of private, then to public.

• Are you certified to teach? No.

Do you have any education experience? No.

• What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against? I only ever heard concerns from my inlaws. Nobody else.
  • Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively? It did not have an impact on our relationship.
  • They excelled through school. The older went to 2 colleges, finished 18 months ahead of time with a 4.3 average. He is 31 today. The younger left school after junior year and went to college....with the school saying "she needs to move on, she is academically and emotionally too far ahead". She went to 2 colleges as well, She is 28. They both have really good, thriving careers. She is known over the world for her work.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

• Why did you choose to? Because the schools in our area are not the best. MY DD is 5 and in the first grade. According to the local school board, she should not have started kindergarten until this fall. We want to ensure our children get the best education possible.

• How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)?I would say they are both "normal".
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)?I am not sure I understand this one? We live in a "mix" I guess. We have some very good ares, but also very bad ones.(Is that what your looking for?)

• Are there private-school options in your area?Yes, but they are mostly Christian/Catholic. I want my kids to have a broader world view than that. I want them exposed to more.

• Are you certified to teach?I am assuming you mean...do I have a teaching certificate, or have I been to college to teach? No, I have not. I went to college for Massage. However, I can read. The currirulum I use lays everything out for you. It tells you what to ask, what to write on the board, how to explain things, etc. If I do reach a subject I am not comfortable teaching, I will look into tutors, co-opc, online classes etc. There are many reasources out there for homeschoolers.

• Do you have any education experience?Again, are you meaning hve I taught in a school setting? No, but like I said, when your teaching one on one like that you really do not need teaching experience. No course will prepare you for homeschooling.

• What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against?That my children are not going to be socialized. That is the big one, and let me tell you..in the summer time, I kinda wish they were not social,lol. I have kids in my home almost 24/7.

Another is that, because I did not get a teaching degree, I cannot teach my children. Which is false. There are approx. 2.1 million students enrolled in homeschool right now. They go on to college, to get great jobs, etc. Most of their parents have never formally "taught" in a school, yet they do it just fine.

• Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively?
    Not at all. He is very supportive, and has actually been the one to say we will homeschool through high school. Yes it gets stressful at times, I am very busy most of the year, but we are still fine. We would not have it any other way. If anything, I would say it has had a positive effect on our relationship.
cat323
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 10:16 AM

• Why did you choose to? because the private school they were in was going under and the public schools around us are jokes
  • How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)? normal everyday kids
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)? suburbs/towns/villages
  • Are there private-school options in your area? yep
  • Are you certified to teach? nope
  • Do you have any education experience? just my own schooling dh has his degree in law enforcement
  • What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against? those who dont know a thing about h.s. yet claim kids are sheltered or have no social activities both which are so wrong! we are always on the go with activities to the point we have to say no sometimes!
  • Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively? both on board, it was hard cuz dh was gone a lot with either military or civillian job but we got through it.....youngest grads this May! all our sons have gone to college, one is AD Army, one has his degree in automotive technology and is working for a big name automotive company, 3rd oldest in his sophmore yr majoring in Criminal Justice and youngest leaves for college in Aug! So those that say h.s'd kids dont go to college or dont have a diploma are also very wrong.

BiloxiDreams
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I got to thinking about it and I decided to change my last answer.  Homeschooling affects my marraige and my family life in a positive way.  When my DH is off work I can not do school that day and we take a week day to spend doing whatever, going to the zoo when it's not crowded or whatever else.  Also, it means we can take more vacations and they're cheaper since we don't have to go when everyone else who have kids in school do.  My family is closer than we once were.  It's also wonderful because the whole family can take a week or two off school before a deployment for some extra "daddy-time" and we can spend as much time with him as we please during R&R without worrying about attandce issues.  Not to mention, it makes moving (which we've done 8 times in 6 years thanks to good ole Uncle Sam) a lot less stressful; no break in their education or worrying about school districts or enrolling them. 

CullenLover
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM

- the schools here are bad, both my kids were bullied and dealt with racism and it wasnt acceptable and nothing was being done by the school.

- they are both ahead a grade with their math and reading

- mainly white

- no private schools, the only ones are well over an hr away

- I used to teach pre-k and used to be an assitant to a teacher

- yes

- tons, people ASSume that kids that are homeschooled are sheltered and cannot be around others, however when my children go on play dates etc you would never had known they were homeschooled

- no, we both agreed this was for the best and will continue to homeschool until we move to another school district

pinkkitchen
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I chose to do it because our public schools are terrible. My daughter is a gifted student and she was bored out of her mind. There are private svhools, but at the moment we can't afford them. We are saving up for private high school.

I am certified to teach. I used to teach Special Education.Still, it's hard for me because I am working on my doctorate degree simultaneously.

This affects my dh because he is away a lot and feels like he misses out on stuff I'm doing with her. He gets jealous. It also affects us romanticly because we used to have time alone while she was at school. However, he does ell people that he's proud of me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)