Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

There is a post on homeschooling, and it got me wondering...

For all those who homeschool:

• Why did you choose to?
  • How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)?
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)?
  • Are there private-school options in your area?
  • Are you certified to teach?
  • Do you have any education experience?
  • What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against?
  • Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively?

by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Replies (11-13):
my2.5boys
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

• Why did you choose to? I've known since before having kids that I would want to home-school them, based on my own journey thru the public school system. I wasn't bullied or anything extreme like that, I was just bored, and was never challenged. I saw school as a huge waste of time, and I will not subject my kids to that. (FYI I was a straight A student, and did everything I could to graduate early, just to escape.) 
  • How would you describe your children (special needs, gifted, etc.)? My boys are very bright and independent. They are 5 and 7 years old, and so curious about the world around them. Are they gifted? Who knows, They've never been tested. 
  • What kind of district are you in (like demographically)? We live in a very poor neighborhood, and the school my boys are zoned for is smack dab in the middle of a drug and prostitute infested area. I will admit had we been in a better area I may have considered sending them to school, however now that we have started home-schooling, we all love it so much that no matter where we move to, my boys will not be going to school. 
  • Are there private-school options in your area? Yes, and there are many charter schools as well. My MIL was very fond of pointing them all out to me, as her way of saying she didn't approve of me home-schooling. But none of them were a good fit for our family. 
  • Are you certified to teach? No, why would I need to be? I always find it so odd that people think so much of the public schools, and at the same time think so little of it that people who come out of it are some how incapable of relaying the information they were supposed to have learned. 
  • Do you have any education experience? No, and again I'm not sure why I would need to have experience. I am not teaching a room full of students, I am teaching my two children, who I have spent their entire lives getting to know and understand. 
  • What kinds of stereotypes or other obstacles do you feel you are up against? I'm sure most home-school moms are as sick of hearing about socialization as I am. My kids are not locked up in the closet all day, and they do in fact get plenty of time to socialize. You would be hard pressed to pick out my two home-schooled boys out a group of their public schooled peers. Besides, how many times in school did you hear the phrase, We are not here to socialize. 
  • Does homeschooling affect your relationship with your DH/SO at all? Negatively? Positively? It doesn't affect our relationship at all, except that we are a stronger family unit. Because of our busy work/school (hubby works full-time, I work part-time and go to school part-time) schedules, we would be hard pressed to spend any time together as a family if the boys were in school. He has always been very supportive of my desire to home-school, and he defends our decisions among all his friends and co-workers who think I'm crazy. 

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. ------from Desiderata Written by Max Ehrmann in 1927

daydreaminmom
by on Jan. 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

It has been suggested to me as my son has ADHD, ODD, and is borderline Asperger's/PDD-NOS. But he LOVES attending school and actually saw my asking him about homeschooling as a punishment. So, as long as he's doing well enough to stay mainstream in school I will allow it to continue. My background is that I am only a few classes from my teaching degree and was unable to return and finish college.

ilovejimmy
by on Jan. 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM

QUESTION! How do you find a cirriculum for preschool? my dd is going to be three in June and she is so bored!! We try and learn new things constantly but were limited on resources.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)