Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

birth control and iuds!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM
  • 8 Replies
Does anyone have paragard? Highly considering it for birth control
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JHjelle827
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM
I'm getting a paragard in a week so I'm interested to see the replies.
daydreaminmom
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Is that the copper one? I have the mirena and heard there was another that was copper IUD but nvr knew the name of it.

I think it lasts for 10yrs where mine is only 5 (which I chose bc I want another child around that time frame).
It doesn't have hormones like the Mirena which is good for people who might be sensative to them.

Forever.pink
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:39 AM

What is that????

EmilyE2004
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM
I have had mind for about 6 weeks and am loving it so far. Nothing to think about as far as bc on a daily or weekly basis, you just check placement by feeling for string about once a month, otherwise I forget it is there. It's great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassielc84
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 1:52 AM

I havent heard anything about Paragard. I have heard that Mirena is really good.. A friend of mine uses it. I however dont have any experience in BC. We use condoms. I dont like BC because of all the hormones that go into your body. I cant use IUDs because of a family history of cervical cysts. My mom has had them and my grandma had to have a complete hysterectomy because of them. So my OB/GYN told me that IUDs were out for me. I hate the pills and will NOT get on the shot. I had the shot at age 15 because my mom didnt want me ending up a teem mom like she was. Which was stupid because I wasnt even sexually active until the age of 18. But we wont get into that. I gained 60 lbs off of the shot and I never did get the weight off. So condoms work for DH and I. We were able to plan my second pregnancy. We didnt get pregnant until 2 1/2 yrs after my DD was born. Which Im glad that we were able to plan the next pregnancy because it ended in twins.  

zoesmommyxxx
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 2:00 AM
Paragard is the copper iud. It lasts for ten years rather than the five that mirena does. I'm going with the copper because I hate condoms, don't have the memory for the pill! Lol hence my little zoe, I have enough hormones without some extra ones so no mirena or pills or the shot which has way too many side effects lol

Quoting Forever.pink:

What is that????

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spainsblueangel
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 3:51 AM

my mom had a copper one not sure if its the same one or not but it got rusted or something like that so she had to get it remove and replaced with plastic one!

Quoting zoesmommyxxx:

Paragard is the copper iud. It lasts for ten years rather than the five that mirena does. I'm going with the copper because I hate condoms, don't have the memory for the pill! Lol hence my little zoe, I have enough hormones without some extra ones so no mirena or pills or the shot which has way too many side effects lol

Quoting Forever.pink:

What is that????

Mommy_Kassi
by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 4:30 AM

i have paragard. I've had it for 3 months. And im kinda back n forth on it. its great not taking bc every day.... but....... i've missed my period this month and its freakin me out. apparently paragard ups your chances for ectopic pregnancy and if you skip your period its highly likely sooooooooo not fun lol. but before this month i loved it!! haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)