Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Question for those who have gone through divorce

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies, 

If you have gone through a divorce, were there kids involved?  If so, how old were they when it happened?  Secondly, do you and your ex still have a decent relationship?  Are you still friends or did the relationship get mean and ugly? 

I'm possibly going through a divorce in the next few months and am concerned as to how it will affect my kids ( 13, 10 & 8).  And I'm also interested in how realistic it is for me to think that my hubby and I can maintain a friendship through all of this.

Thanks for any input ladies.

by on Jan. 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-11):
psych_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2011 at 8:34 AM

4 years ago I went through a divorce. My kids were 6,4 and 2. It can have major emotional impacts on children. You and your husband need to sit down together with yout children and tell them the truth about the divorce, that it isn't because of them and that no matter what they will always be loved. Let them know that you are both still going to be there in everyway that you can for them.

Most of the time the parents aren't able to have a healthy realtionship until a little while after, if ever. My ex and I are to a point to where we can finally talk to each other and not be angry with each other. I know other people that have been divorced for years and still can't stand each other. One way to help this process may be to seek counseling together so that you two can work through your issues with one another so that they don't linger after the divorce. I would also suggest counseling for your children. It can help them work through anger and resentment that they will have for the change in their lives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)