Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Question

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a very sensitive nose and stomach. I can smell the slightest scents, when most people say they smell nothing.

Like others, one of my pet peeves is the bad breath of others. If I am forced to engage in a conversation with someone with unfresh breath, I panic a little, may make faces, completely ignore the conversation, say something or attempt to move away unnoticed. However, I have been told recently that my reaction is ridiculously apparent.

My question is, how do you deal with someone with really bad breath? I am not talking about the seldom-bad breath after having garlic all over your pizza at lunch bad breath. I am talking about every single day, smells like something died in your throat bad breath.

For example, you are at work...Your supervisor comes and leans over your shoulder and spews the wrath of his/her breath in your area while discussing some project.

Would it make a difference if this person was a loved one? How would you tell them that their breath is making your queasy without being hurtful? What if it was your own partner??

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JennyMarie
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Wow that is a good one. If it were a loved one I would tell them in a very nice way. As for someone else..i would try to avoid them if I could help it.

suziq1982
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:34 PM

If it was family I would give them a breath mint. If it was co worker, boss or someone I'm not close enough to say anything to I'm not really sure what I would do. I guess I would make the conversation as quick as possible. I also would have mints or gum close by and take one yourself and offer it to the other person. It would probably get obvious if every time you talk to them you are giving them breath fresheners. I don't like to be close to peoples faces anyway but I do know people who invade your personal bubble.

ikesmommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Quoting suziq1982:

If it was family I would give them a breath mint. If it was co worker, boss or someone I'm not close enough to say anything to I'm not really sure what I would do. I guess I would make the conversation as quick as possible. I also would have mints or gum close by and take one yourself and offer it to the other person. It would probably get obvious if every time you talk to them you are giving them breath fresheners. I don't like to be close to peoples faces anyway but I do know people who invade your personal bubble.

It seems like the invasive people often have this issue.

I seriously burst out with laughter thinking about offering breath mints for mercy every time one of these people walked up!

ikesmommy
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Quoting JennyMarie:

Wow that is a good one. If it were a loved one I would tell them in a very nice way. As for someone else..i would try to avoid them if I could help it.

What would you consider a nice way?????

ShannaBee
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I hold my breath while they are talking and take in air as I respond to the conversation. I'm pretty good at it because nobody can tell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)