Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT Home business opinions *not advertising*

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I have been stewing and trying to come up with some ideas to try to bring some extra $ into my household.  I make sweet treats (candies, peanut butter cups, chocolate dipped items and so on) for holidays and special occasions. I was thinking that maybe I could start making them to sell.  So here is the spot I'd like some opinions.  What are som marketing ideas? I'm really don't have a lot of friends around here. So I'm just kinda stumped. 

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

You should look into your state's regulation for selling food products is first. You may or may not need to have a permit.

Ohio.SAHMof2
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Agreed.

Quoting LuvMyBrennaBean:

You should look into your state's regulation for selling food products is first. You may or may not need to have a permit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxxyt
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

After you figure out state regulation, I would take my stuff to the smaller mom and pop shops and smaller places to see if word of mouth starts something, make sure you have lots of info on your lables

sew4fun
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Check to see what you need to do in order to be legal . Then you can blog, get a FB page, get on ETSY and other hand made selling venues and be sure to go into their chats. It seems silly but it really does help get your name out there. You can also order post cards ( some are free) and take them to your local post office and ask for them to "canvas" an area for you . I am not sure how much it cost but it is not a whole lot and they will address and send out the post cards for you in your area.

lapcounter
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM
I do a lot of craft fairs, women's shows, news ads, specials, Facebook to promote my business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dragonfly.1982
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Thanks ladies I'm deffinately going to check into it.  I really think I can make something of this and have fun doing it :)

sew4fun
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM

How do you go about finding venues ? I have wanted to do fairs and such but am having a hard time finding them .

Quoting lapcounter:

I do a lot of craft fairs, women's shows, news ads, specials, Facebook to promote my business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)