Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Housework

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM
  • 23 Replies

So, today a friend asks politely "What all have you been doing today?" I go down a list of housework that I've accomplished. It included dishes, trash, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, changing sheets, making up beds [and this was all before 1 PM :)] So, in return she [kind of rudely] exclaims "Damn, what does your husband do around the house?"

I'm a SAHM, while my husband works his butt off at an internship 40 hours a week, plus school. If your hubby works and you stay at home, I don't see why it's necessary for you to complain that he does nothing; or why it's so hard for you to clean. I mean really? He's working for YOU, you should clean for HIM. You'd want the same thing if you were working 40 hours a week; to come home to a NICE and CLEAN house. I have no problem cleaning the house alone cause it's my duty. [I'm not saying he doesn't DO things in the house, I just don't ask it of him.]

How about at your house? do you share in household responsibilities or do you see it as he has his job and you have yours?

**This is just MY opinion. Some women like their hubbys/SO to share in the household duties, I just don't see it that way.

in love with kyle, mommy to bella & kyla & an angel, owner of a jack russel and a yellow lab, daughter of a preacher and a stubborn southern belle<3

by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Purtyred
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

If I was a stay at home mom/wife, I'd do most of the housework too.

But, my husband and I both work full time so we both do household "chores." My son is 17 and does a lot of his own stuff too.

Ttyler
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM
I'm a sahm too and I do all the house work. He has a job and I that is mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Unikpr718
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

If I was a SAHM I would take care of the all the cooking and cleaning. Its only fair if the hubby works all day. But as of now, since we both work fulltime we share chores.

RutterMama
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I am a SAHM and it IS my 'job' to take care of the house. Now, he does things... trash, empty the dishwasher, sweep sometimes and has NO shame in it. He also helps with laundry, especially since I had a rough pregnancy and a rough baby at home.

My poor hubby works 60+ hours a week outside. It's the least I can try to do is have a neat house for him.

Holly.
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

My DH works outside the house. I am a homemaker. My job is to make the home, a home.

2rays0fsun
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I agree with you! It's about working together and appreciating what the other does. To make everything come together as a household :) We split chores here and actually he does most of the cleaning - because he loves cleaning lol. So on my end I pick up more of the parenting duties and I always cook. we both work/school. I say whatever works as long as each contributes.

As far as the woman who talked to you, I think it is just sour grapes... or she's unhappy in her relaitonship/SO and wants to push that off on you. misery likes company

-LovingMamma-
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM
I do all the cleaning and cooking and take care of the kids. he works takes care of the yard things like shoveling and mowing and any handy man stuff around the house. He does so much i couldnt imagine expecting him to do any more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyReznor
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM

i do all the house work.i am a stay at home mom also so i do feel it is my job to do alot,but frankly i can't depend on my hubby to do things and rather then nagging at him to do something i just do it myself.at least i know it will get done when i want it to.

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Quoting Ttyler:

I'm a sahm too and I do all the house work. He has a job and I that is mine.

Bap1129
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM
I am a sahm, and i do everything. I dont think its hard, if you have a routine it can all be done in a few hours. He works to make sure you have a home the least you can do is clean it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN