Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Groceries

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

Just wondering what type of budget everyone has for groceries. How often do you go and how many do you feed ?

We go every two weeks and spend between $100 and $160 a trip. We feed two adults and two toddlers plus one additional toddler that I watch about 3-4 times a week . This also includes enough food for one get together with friends a week.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4evamami
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM

About $200 at the beginning of the month for four people and then we go again towards the end of the month and we spend about $100.

victoriaherring
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM
I use coupons and have a small stockpile so at this point I can spend around $20 a week. Before my budget was the same as yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tihone77
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Wow!  What am I doing wrong?

sunshyne_rust
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I have been keeping track of our grocery expenses for the last few years.  I used to spend about $150 per month to feed 2 adults, but it seems that with rising prices I'm up to about $200/month.  You seem to be doing very well with your budget!  It just all depends on what meals you cook and what coupons/generics can be used to cut the costs. 

melly_v88
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM

we have food stamps, so we usually spend 450 a month

RutterMama
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:24 AM
I feed 2 adults, a 3 year old & am breastfeeding my 4 month old. I use coupons & shop sales. I spend $250-$300/month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Nicholas8
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM
We shop every two weeks feeding 4 people. We spend $200 a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BonitaM
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I don't have a regular spending on food.  I don't live with my husband so some weeks he eats out and I don't know the exact amount he spends on that but I'd guess it's around $50 or less. 

A good shopping trip can easily cost us $400 but on the weeks when we don't have much money I can get by on $40 or less.   We haven't had a good shopping trip in over a month and it doesn't look like we'll be going on another for at least another month.  I do get food from my parents farm though for free or very little.  I also stay well stocked with the basics.

Oh yeah, this is for 3 people and 2 pets.

riotgrrl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM

We do one big shopping trip a month, and go weekly for perishables. Our budget is about $500 a month for food and $100 for cleaning supplies/pet food/other supplies. There are 2 adults and 5 children in our family. We bought a chest freezer and it was one of the best investments we ever made. It allows us to really stock up on food when it is on sale.

victoriaherring
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM
I only buy what's on sale and usually what is on sale and has a matching coupon. I usually get around $80-90 in groceries but after sales and coupons I only pay $15-20.. sometimes a bit more if I have to buy meat. I also end up with more food than I had back when I spent 150 every two weeks. we are getting a deep freezer in a few weeks so then I can stockpile meet when its on sale..

Quoting tihone77:

Wow!  What am I doing wrong?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)