Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for military wives (SOs) and/or wives to police (officers of the law, whatever)

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I have a pretty pointless question that has nothing to do with anything really. We were talking at work the other day with a man who was in WWII (I work with dementia patients so yes I did indeed say WWII) but he was saying it was really hard for them to be apart back in the day while he was off in Europe during the war.

I also had a conversation a while back with my landlord at the time who's husband is a cop and she was telling me about how she worries about him everytime he goes into wor(understandable)

SO my question is, which is harder to deal with(and yes I understand both cannot be easy) military or law enforcement,and why?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BV88
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Military...but then again I have no experience with being a police officers wife :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mistyn23
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM
I would say both...cause either military gets shot at...but for the families I think military would be harder cause they are away from there families for a year at a time if not longer..jmo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glamorous_mami
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM

military for sure.....i mean the law enforcement comes home every night....when they are deployed they cant call sometimes, some days i would go days without hearing from my DH.

GiannasMommy06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I would agree with PP. Military. I have some law enforcement family members and I was an Army wife and am now a Marine Corps wife and it's like night and day to me. Not to say that our law enforcement don't do a lot and put their lives on the line because they do, everyday but it's just different. While police may go out and be around dangerous criminals everyday at least they get to be home with their loved ones. Military families deal with being without their loved ones for 6 months to 18 months at a time. It's hell but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I give so much respect and gratitiude to anyone who serves this country in any way, shape, or form!

tbosgirl
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I don't know what it's like to be a law enforcement wife, but with the recent shooting of 4 US Marshals very close to my home town, I believe it would be very difficult. A 23 year old man goes to arrest a man and gets shot down.

Cops don't spend a lot of time away from home, so I think military has that aspect to make it harder.

tayhoff
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I have no experience with law enforcement, but my hubby is on deployment right now and its hell. Especially when i turn on the tv and here about people getting blown up and I have no clue if it was hubbies unit or not, then you sit and worry yourself sick until they get in contact with you, which can take days. I am so ready for him to be home.

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I am a soldir's wife. .  .  I'd say both are hard.  . . .

My husband is gone 12 - 15 months at a time, then during black outs (no communication allowed period) its terrifying. . . . However, you never know when you police officer is going to be in a stand off, a chase (which can g badly) a robbery, or get caught up in some crazy domestic. . . . They risk their lives as well. ... The onl difference, it thir ability to be home, their ability for always being in touch when needed, and theyget to be home to watch their kids grow.... .

I feel guilty when out kids do new hing and hes nt home. .. . .

Btw, sorry if im mssing letters, even angry typing snt making them all work every time, grrr, kids dumped tea in mynetbook!

maria1613
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I can't imagine how hard it is for you ladies to go through that much less your SO's. But I do appreciate eerything they do for our country as well as our law enforcement (as much as they can be d bags sometimes, they're just doin their jobs.)

There was 2 cops here about a year ago that responded to  a call, turns out it was a trick, one was shot and injured and the other was killed.

It's a scary world. Thank goodness for all the men and women who put their lives out there for us every day

armywifey1983
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I'm very tempted to answer 'military wife', but I would be doing so with a biased opinion. I only know what its like to be an Army wife, not a police officer's wife, but I imagine that some of the fears are very similar. My DH has deployed three times now (twice since we married) and I was scared witless every time. We would go days, sometimes a week or two with no communication. And even on the days he could contact me, we occasionally would have to cut things short after hearing an ominous 'BOOM!' or a siren in the background. And of course, the length of his deployments made me want to ram my head into a wall on occasion (8 months before R&R is a long time for ANY couple to be apart). I'll stop there before this turns into a rambling.

EireLass
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I'm sure the WWII vet was referring to only being able to write letters for communication. Today, if they're available, they can email, skype, IM, etc., while deployed. I think it would be hard to be a military spouse.....waiting waiting waiting.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)